Fermenter fridge smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to home brew, still haven't brewed my first batch yet. I'm a bit of a perfectionist at everything I put my hands to, so having the basic tools to achieve the best I can is what I usually go for.

I got a small fridge (got second hand on craigslist) plugged to an STC-1000. I cut the door in to make room, but when I cut into the plastic of the door I instantly smelled something that had a fishy smell to it. I figured it was the insulation, the more I cut into it. Decided to cover it up with some caulking and a plexi glass. Aired that out for about 2 weeks, smell seemed to be gone.

I finally plug in my fridge to start running some STC-1000 tests, making sure it will keep my temps accurate and now the fishy smell is back.

First question is, does anybody know why it has a fishy smell (anything risky here? Don't know much about fridges/freon/insulation...etc.) and second question is, is there any risk that it can contaminate or even affect the taste of my beer if fermented in there?

Thanks!

Edit: Side note, when I got the fridge it did not smell fishy.

First question is, does anybody know why it has a fishy smell (anything risky here? Don't know much about fridges/freon/insulation...etc.)
Previous owner??? ....dunno...afaik, "freon" doesn't smell fishy, but again, dunno
and second question is, is there any risk that it can contaminate or even affect the taste of my beer if fermented in there?

Thanks!

Edit: Side note, when I got the fridge it did not smell fishy.
I'd imagine that as long as there is a filled airlock and you don't experience any suckback, it should be fine. I've smelled some bad fridges, but "fishy" is a new one....maybe previous owner was an avid fisherperson and stored lots of fish in this fridge??? Who knows...if it were me, I'd use it if it works properly.....get some Clorox bleach spray and spray the hell outta it, can't hurt, anyway

Previous owner??? ....dunno...afaik, "freon" doesn't smell fishy, but again, dunno

Yup as I said above in case you missed it, bought on craigslist, had no previous smell.

I'd imagine that as long as there is a filled airlock and you don't experience any suckback, it should be fine. I've smelled some bad fridges, but "fishy" is a new one....maybe previous owner was an avid fisherperson and stored lots of fish in this fridge??? Who knows...if it were me, I'd use it if it works properly.....get some Clorox bleach spray and spray the hell outta it, can't hurt, anyway

I've already cleaned it with a disinfectant, and it smelled great after a nice clean before I plugged it in. Ill try another pass with bleach.

Yup, that's why I'm worried about the smell because the fridge seems to be working great, keeps the temp consistent on my tests! I was thinking the same with a filled airlock, that even if something got through, it wouldn't get past the airlock, but I don't have experience yet so im not 100% sure hahah

I think you're okay. Just a weird smell on the components and with it not coming back after hooking up and cleaning its probably just a weird thing you might never answer.

Even after a bleach pass it smelled great, once I start it up for a few hours the fish smell comes back... Must be something on the components I don't know...

If you guys think that an airlock will stop it from getting into my wort, then i'll proceed to brew my first batch over the weekend as the fridge is working spot on!

smells don't cause infections and even if assume bad smell= nasty microbes around, they still won't get in your fermenter. If they could, there is enough microbes in the air, on your fingers to spoil the wort before they could get to it.

Even after a bleach pass it smelled great, once I start it up for a few hours the fish smell comes back... Must be something on the components I don't know...

If you guys think that an airlock will stop it from getting into my wort, then i'll proceed to brew my first batch over the weekend as the fridge is working spot on!

Brew on!

Put a box or two of open baking soda in there, or get a charcoal fridge odor absorber. Should clear it up, esp after a good bleach scrubbing.

Put a box or two of open baking soda in there, or get a charcoal fridge odor absorber. Should clear it up, esp after a good bleach scrubbing.

I'll try that as well! Thanks for all the tips up to now! Really appreciated!

maybe a better option than baking soda is damp-rid, which you'll want in your ferm chamber anyway to combat moisture problems. I suspect that is how baking soda works anyway...

IF the smell is some sort mildew/mold/biofilm; drying out the innards will help.

I got a freezer from a friend who actually used it to store dried fish and other frozen fish. When they moved, they just unplugged it and let it sit in their garage (in the summer) closed.

When I got it, it smelled like fish so strong, I could smell it, even with the door closed. I scrubbed it with a strong solution of PBW all around the inside, seals and outside, let it sit for a while and rinsed it off.

I have my beer in there now and there is no hint of fish at all, only the sweet smell of beer.

Bleach to me has a strange odor to it anyway. You could also make sure it is rinsed very well by pulling the plug on the bottom and then allowing it to dry completely, then as others have said, try the baking soda.

Back