Fermenter filled too high - Wait for Blow Off or Pull Wort Now Before Yeast Kicks in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use a bigger diameter blow-off tube, one that would have more difficulty (read zero chance of) clogging? Go to Lowes or Menards or Home Depot and get some tubing that fits tightly inside the neck of the carboy, put the other end in some water mixed with StarSan so no critters can get into the wort (ants, fruit flies, gnats, etc)

Or you could drill the stopper and just go with bigger tubing.

Were it my batch, I'd leave as is.

Then again, I've never had a blow off tube clog.

Wait and see how it is in the AM.

If you have a 1-gallon fermenter, you could pull off some wort into that. It'll be fermenting too, because you already pitched the yeast. Then you can add it back to the carboy as fermentation slows down. Just don't wait until after its completely done, or you'll risk oxidation.

Not my setup pictured, nor have I personally done it, but I know a number of guys who intentionally overfill the fermenter, and then use this kind of setup to collect the yeast (the guys I know use mason jars, all sterilized in pressure cooker prior to sealing, IIRC). They then use that yeast for repitching. Not unlike a Burton Union.

Blow+Off+Setup+2.JPG

If you have a 1-gallon fermenter, you could pull off some wort into that. It'll be fermenting too, because you already pitched the yeast. Then you can add it back to the carboy as fermentation slows down. Just don't wait until after its completely done, or you'll risk oxidation.

If both batches have yeast and finish fermenting, there's no harm as long as the transfer is done properly (racked, not poured), as the yeast will scrub all the oxygen out of both.

I fill mine that high or higher and let it ride but you do need a blow off tube!:D

Back