Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crocka

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the home brew thing, my brew bucket has no pressure valve on, I have put a donner and blitzed in the bucket do I keep opening the lid slightly to release the co2??

Just don't snap the lid down on the fermenter and it will be fine. You could put a weight, like a brick on top just top keep overagressive co2 from popping the lid off. Plenty of oldschool fermenters were just done with a sheet of plexiglass on top of the bucket, or even cafeteria trays.

If you were to opt for an extended primary in it, after two weeks when fermentation ceased, I would definitely snap the lid down tight, to keep fruitflies from getting in. But with co2 offgassing through the loose lid, things can't get in with gas coming out.

There is no pressure valve exactly.
You need a hole drilled in the top, a rubber grommet that fits the hole, and an airlock to let CO2 out, without letting anything else in.

You are pretty much doing an open fermentation. It might be fine, but it is more susceptible to infections.
Go to a brewstore or to a website and get yourself the proper gear.

Was this a bucket you ordered as a fermentation bucket, or did you buy something like a home depot bucket?

I gotta say, you got me with "a donner and blitzed in the bucket." However, not snapping down the lid and sitting a Donner and Blitzen on top...'tis the season...will allow it to remain covered while allowing gas to escape. However, this is only short term, after the main fermentation phase settles down (4-7 days or so) you will want a sealed lid. I would find a homebrewshop and pickup a drilled stopper and an airlock, drill the lid and install.

There is no pressure valve exactly.
You need a hole drilled in the top, a rubber grommet that fits the hole, and an airlock to let CO2 out, without letting anything else in.

You are pretty much doing an open fermentation. It might be fine, but it is more susceptible to infections.
Go to a brewstore or to a website and get yourself the proper gear.

Was this a bucket you ordered as a fermentation bucket, or did you buy something like a home depot bucket?

No he's not. No airlock bucket fermenters are QUITE COMMON.

He's not doing open fermentation. The lid is still covering the fermenter, and the co2 coming out of the loose lid is preventing anything coming in.

It's only open fermentation if there's no lid on at all, this is hardly the case.

I gotta say, you got me with "a donner and blitzed in the bucket." However, not snapping down the lid and sitting a Donner and Blitzen on top...'tis the season...will allow it to remain covered while allowing gas to escape. However, this is only short term, after the main fermentation phase settles down (4-7 days or so) you will want a sealed lid. I would find a homebrewshop and pickup a drilled stopper and an airlock, drill the lid and install.

Actually all he has to do is snap the lid back on tight when fermentation is complete.

This brand of fermenter is one of the ones that don't have airlock grommet holes.

15216950.jpg

It is a proper bucket and it looks like there might be places where I could drill and fit an air lock

It is a proper bucket and it looks like there might be places where I could drill and fit an air lock

It doesn't matter. You can either drill one, or you can do what I suggested, plenty of folks just leave the lids loosely on top.

Having an airlock or not won't change the beer in anyway. It's just a vent.

What Revvy said will work...but, I was suggesting getting the airlock as the overrall solution as oxygen does some bad things so playing the game of finding the balance when off gassing is complete and then sealing could put you in acetaldehyde risk. While knowing the chemistry that oxygen plus alcohol results in the oxygen grabbing the alcohols hydrogen giving you acetaldehyde and water as a result is great and wonderful, having had a split batch of pale ale where one fermentors seal was compromised and the end result was five gallons of good beeer and five gallons that tasted like a green apple Jolly Rancher is enough for me to make sure I don't risk this happening again. So, food for thought for future brews, air locks or blow off's are your friends.

Latest posts

Back