Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperry5003

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I pitched 2 vials of liquid yeast in and it started about 4 hours later. There was airlock action for about 2 1/2 or 3 days. My OG was 1.076, I just checked it and it was at 1.029. Not seeing any more activity. Fermentation temp fluctuated from 68.5 - 71.0. Any ideas on how to get this to dry out, or should I just give it time? Been in primary almost 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

I have an IPA that I pitched 2 vials of liquid yeast in and it started about 4 hours later. There was airlock action for about 2 1/2 or 3 days. My OG was 1.076, I just checked it and it was at 1.029. Not seeing any more activity. Fermentation temp fluctuated from 68.5 - 71.0. Any ideas on how to get this to dry out, or should I just give it time? Been in primary almost 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use a hydrometer, or a refractometer to check the FG?

Don't have the recipe handy, however I used about 12 pounds of grain, mashed for an hour at 152 then batch sparged at 170. Boiled 1 hour 4 different hop additions 60, 45, 20 and 5- Centential. Cooled and racked to primary. I use a refractometer.

bperry5003 said:
Don't have the recipe handy, however I used about 12 pounds of grain, mashed for an hour at 152 then batch sparged at 170. Boiled 1 hour 4 different hop additions 60, 45, 20 and 5- Centential. Cooled and racked to primary. I use a refractometer.

Yeast WPL001

It's better to use a hydrometer when measuring FG.

Stauffbier said:

I have heard that after fermentation the refractometers are not that accurate. However, could it be off by as much as 12-15 points?

Stauffbier said:

Thanks for the advice. I checked it tonight and it was at 1.010 with the hydrometer. Looks like I am at about 8.7%. Didn't think I would get that high.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back