Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuyser

Reaction score
So what would you all do. I have a batch of Grand Cru (extract) kit from midwest supplies. Pitched the smack pack yeast they recommend. Bubbled like crazy for first 2 weeks(via airlock).. Still bubbles every 45 seconds or so now (week 3)...

Question the starting gravity was 1.062. Check gravity this past sunday 1-1-12 and gravity reading is 1.04, checked again today gravity 1.38 ish.

According to midwest the final gravity should be 1.010 - 1.012. But also the brew should be done in 3 weeks. Do you think my fermentation is moving along alright? with such a high starting gravity should i have double pitched?

Am i just a impatient beginner brewer?

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Calibrate it against normal tap water and make sure it reads 1.000. That's the most common cause of misreadings.

What temp are you fermenting at? You could ramp the temp up to 70-72 easily and let the yeast finish out while it's still active.

You sure it's not 1.004? With all that activity, I find it hard to believe it was that high

Ya im sure on the reading i will try calibrating it though tonight against tap water.

Make sure its 68F tap water or whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated to.

I agree with warming it up a few degrees and maybe a gentle swirl of the bucket. At what temp are you fermenting? What yeast?

It is clasiffied as the "wyeast activator" by midwest supply. Temp has ranged from 65-70 degrees.

Did you smack the pack according to the directions and see it swell? What temperature is your beer fermenting at?

oh ya smacked it and it swelled like a balloon. Fermenting at about 66-68 degrees. The first 2 weeks i had to change the airlock daily.

Yeast strained is Belgian Witbier 3944, I checked my hydrometer vs water and right on at 1.000.

no there is still a good amount of white foam on the top. and tiny bubble coming up from the bottom.

Wait until it is mostly cleared out (maybe another week) then test again. Maybe they're just slow.

k, i think i might just be impatient... the airlock is still bubbling once every 30 seconds or so.. Just a little worried with such slow progression on the dryo reading side.

1) You should have pitched more yeast at that gravity, 2 smack packs or an appropriate starter. That would most likely speed up your fermentation.

2) Raise your temps a bit and rouse the yeast. Continue to check gravity readings and please, whatever you do, don't transfer it to a secondary before the gravity stabilizes around 1.012 (or whatever the FG is supposed to be).

3) Sounds like you still have activity in there, just relax, you're making beer after all! :mug:

oops it is already in the secondary, left it in primary for 1 week then it is on week 3 of secondary.

anyhow (all mistakes aside) i do have a extra dry yeast that came with it.. would there be much harm in pitching it this late in the ball game?

Also to rouse the yeast what do all you recommend? handle of stainless steel spoon (sanitized) and swirl it around?

Oh yeah, you moved to secondary too quickly. If your secondary only holds 5 gallons you're going to have trouble with blowoff if you pitch again.

oops it is already in the secondary, left it in primary for 1 week then it is on week 3 of secondary.

anyhow (all mistakes aside) i do have a extra dry yeast that came with it.. would there be much harm in pitching it this late in the ball game?

Also to rouse the yeast what do all you recommend? handle of stainless steel spoon (sanitized) and swirl it around?

that's why it's going so slowly. you should never take a brew out of primary until FG is reached and stable.

How bad do you think it wil react if i do pitch again?

It will be fine, but someone already addressed that with a question - how big is your secondary? If it's only 5 gallons it will blow off a lot.

Rev.

Hmm, to let it ride, pitch more and have lots of blow off, or rack back to your primary and repitch. Tough call

It is a tough call but I would rather have 4.5 gallons of an attenuated beer than 5 gallons of 1.038 FG belgian beer syrup. It is up to you but if you let it warm up it should finish out. Pitching some rehydrated dry yeast while it's still active and risk some blow off? It would be interesting to split the batch at this point and see the results of both. Keep us updated.

Dont mean to hijack thread, but how often should I take a hydrometer reading? It's been fermenting for 8 days now. I brewed on December 28th.

Also, I'm planning on on doing a primary fermentation and it's an IPA so should I primary for 3 weeks then bottle?

Again, don't mean to hijack I'm just new to the forum and couldn't find my answer on here.

For me, it Depends.

As a general rule I primary my beer for three weeks (good practice is four), then bottle and ill measure FG on bottling day. If my gravity is off from my expected attenuation, I may let the beer sit for a little longer or bottle anyways.

The only exceptions to this are if fermentation visibly stops and I know its premature (hasn't happened yet) or if im transferring to secondary to harvest my yeast.

For me, it Depends.

As a general rule I primary my beer for three weeks (good practice is four), then bottle and ill measure FG on bottling day. If my gravity is off from my expected attenuation, I may let the beer sit for a little longer or bottle anyways.

The only exceptions to this are if fermentation visibly stops and I know its premature (hasn't happened yet) or if im transferring to secondary to harvest my yeast.

Ok thanks a lot man I just didn't know how often to do it. I didn't want to do it too much in fear of oxidation

well i pitched a second dry yeast last week. And it didnt blow off that bad but has really chewed away at the sugars ie the beer is getting to be more the color it should. going to check with hydro towards the end of the week will keep you all updated.

Back