Fermentation without bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I've done 5 or 6 batches so I don't really know that I'm a total noob, but I've always had good luck getting the airlock moving and, for the first time, I had a batch that didn't give me any bubble.

It was really a bad decision, I pitched an activator (first time using these) right after the smack instead of 3 hours later, which they say is okay but probably not ideal. (Side question, is there supposed to be a floating packet on top of my beer when I use these?)

Anyway, no bubbles. So I sanitize and re-hydrate some dried yeast, but first take a gravity reading. I've gone from 1.050 to 1.007, which is actually the lowest gravity I've ever had.

-I realize that the problem might be a leak, but I've never had a problem with that with this bucket and I got a good pop on the air lock when pushed down the lid.
-I do have some trub up to about 2 inches above the beer
-The beer taste fine (great, even).

So am I good? Is this common, I've read a little bit about it but does anyone have a guess at to what happened?

You have beer and an intermittent leak in the lid. Probably something as simple as a a speck of grain. Pressing will cause movement in the airlock even when there is a small leak.

I know I am still a noob, but airlocks are not reliable fermentation indicators. The best tool is your hydrometer. According to your hydrometer, you have reached 86% attenuation with fermentation (which is pretty high). So, your yeast came through for you and fermented.

The only concern I have (read my sig, and bear that in mind) is over attenuation may be a sign of infection. 86% may be normal for your yeast, but it is pretty high for most yeasts. Note the word "MAY" in there. I would wait for some experts to state their opinion before trusting mine.

Good Luck.

The floating packet was part of the smacpack - in the future you don't want them in there but in all reality it's not a problem.

You didn't mention the yeast types but depending on the residual sugars left, and when you pitched your second round of yeast it is possible to get that high of an attenuation... are you sure you took temperature into consideration when taking the gravity readings?

how long has it been? Move it to secondary or bottle it (depending on how long it's been). Sounds like krausen instead of trub.

you'll be fine.

It's been two weeks since brew day, I really should have done this over a week ago but life got busy for a while.

With the temp adjustment I think I'm closer to 1.010, which is about what I would have been shooting for.

I was planning on bottling in a week, I'd rather not rack just because I've already exposed the beer once and with just 6 days to go (I'd better start emptying some of these bottles already), I would prefer to leave it as is. Does this sound like a bad idea?

From what I can gather I might not have too much to worry about. Thanks for your help all.

This is my standard "new brewer" answer to your question...

You should never rely on the bubbling or lack of on a cheap plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...

If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal, or around the carboy grommet...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...AND that is spread out among carboys, buckets. water bottles, and anything else I may ferment in, and regardless of the type of airlock...I have 9 different fermenters...

That's why I and many others say repeatedly that the only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer (or refractometer) . Those are precision calibrated instruments...

More than likely your fermentation is going nicely at it's own pace but for a dozen possible reasons your airlock isn't bubbling...simple as that. Get out of the habit of thinking it is a precision instrument and you will find you are less worried...The only precise methid of gauging fermentation is taking gravity readings.

Back in the bad old days, the predominant airlock was an s type...and often they were made of glass and sat relatively heavy in the grommet, and that's where people like papazain and those who influenced him got into the habit of counting bubbles...but now adays with 3 piecers being the norm, and most things being made crappy these days...it's just not a reliable means anymore.

The trouble is, that even the authors for the most part have been brewing so long that they don't pay attention to the airlock, yet the perpetuate the myth from the old days of bubbles meaning anything....though I figure, as a writer myself, they have long moved past the basic methodology that they wrote about...it's easy to do...to "preach" something very basic, while doing a process somewhat more complex...or like most of us who have been brewing awhile, taking shortcuts.

Co2 is heavier than air...there can be plenty of co2 going on, plenty of active fermentation happenning but there is not enough excess co2 rising or venting out to actually lift the plastic bubbler

The 3 piece airlock is the most fallable of them all, often there is simply not a strong enough escape of co2 to lift the bubbler. Or they can be weighted down with co2 bubbles, ir hteir is a leak in the grommet or the bucket seal, anynumber of factors.

If you push down on your bucket lid often you will suddenly get a huge amount of bubbling as you off gass the co2 that is there present but no needing to vent on it's own.

I find that the older S type airlocks, even plastic are much more reliable...in face I have started to use those old school ones exclusively. Not to use them as a gauge of fermentation...but because I like to watch the bubbles..

But even those don't always bubble..BUT you can tell theres CO2 pushing out because the liquid will be on the farthest side away from the grommet or bung hole.

Even not bubbling. you can see that something has pushed the water to the other side...
03_18_2007_airlock_mlf.jpg

There's quite a few people on here who do not use an airlock at all, they simply loosely place their lids on the bucket, or cover with saran wrap, or tinfoil or pieces of plexigalss, these just sit on the top and if the CO2 needs to void out it doess...Because as I said before if the co2 is pushing out, then NOTHING is getting in.

If you look around on here at all the supposed "stuck" fermentation panic thread are not true Stuck fermentations, or deads yeasts, but are simply people like you using treating the vent like some precision instrument...And they, just like you use the words "Signs of fermentation." And that is our clue that you are going by arilocks.

And 90% or more come back and say they took a hydro reading...and everything was fine...

Rarely do yeasts these days get stuck...this isn't like the 70's when there was one or two strains of yeast, and they came from Europe in dried out cakes, and nowadays with our hobby so popular, even most tinned kits with the yeast under the lid trun over so fast that they are relatvely fresh most of the time.

So nowadays the only way our yeast "dies" or poops out is 1)If we pitch it into boiling wort 2) There is a big temp drop and the yeasts go dormant and flocculate out, or 3) if there is a high grav wort and the yeast maxes out in it's ability to eat all the sugar...and even then the yeast may poop out at either 1.030 or 1.020...But other than that most fermentations take....

AND this is regardless of any airlock bubbling...

Seriously, many of us pitch our yeast, walk away for a month and then bottle, and our beers have turned out great...The yeasts have been doing this for 5,000 years...they know what they're doing,

Hope this helps! You will find you are much more relaxed and able to RDWHAHB...if you ignore the airlock...

and read this as well...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

:mug:

Now that's a response. Thanks!

I think generally speaking people are too up tight about home brewing, I've been doing it off and on for a year and only now am I beginning to brew like I am cooking rather than putting together a home gym. The problem is books and online guides do a pretty good job of scaring you.

Now that's a response. Thanks!

I think generally speaking people are too up tight about home brewing, I've been doing it off and on for a year and only now am I beginning to brew like I am cooking rather than putting together a home gym. The problem is books and online guides do a pretty good job of scaring you.

I came into brewing through my love of cooking...and I cook very jazz like...rifffing on recipes...So maybe that's why when I first read Papazian, with his persistant RDWHAHB-ing, I felt a connection, and that's been my philosophy since I got started....This ain't brain surgery, nor is it rocket science...It's a hobby...it's Supposed to be fun!

I think everyone should have this in their brew room.

Yodardwhahb.jpg

I can vouch. There was absolutely no activity in the airlock on my american blonde ale. I took a hydro measurement and in fact there was activity. Before posting bc of airlock issues, take a test!

A perfectly sealed vessel with an airlock would bubble, but it's almost a guarantee that you don't have a perfect seal. I agree it's not a fermentation gauge, but I do think it's okay to be nervous if you don't see bubbling.

A perfectly sealed vessel with an airlock would bubble, but it's almost a guarantee that you don't have a perfect seal. .

Except when it doesn't, else we wouldn't have this conversation hundreds of times a week. There's plenty of folks on here who have posted that they checked their seals and their beer STILL didn't bubble.

I put my faith in Revvy! Good to see you at it like usual. I am trying to help you out (I leave the hard questions for you, "Master of the Brew").

I am making my first batch ever and after putting everything together and jumping in head first with fingers crossed away I went. After 2 days I had not seen a single bubble and was so concerned, today I rushed off to the local store and bought a new lid, bung and airlock, did a quick clean & sanitise and put it on the bucket and now I get lots of bubbles...
I really wish I had found this thread first as I wouldn't have bothered. (or panicked)

Ok, truthfully I will panic until after the first glass comes successfully out of the tap and actually tastes like beer.

Thx

Back