Fermentation: what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grej

Reaction score
Hi there.
This is my first time brewing. I got a 1 gallon Brooklyn Brew Kit (everyday IPA). For the first few days I kept the fermenter in a dark cool place where it fizzed and bubbled and was pretty cloudy (with the blow-off tube). I read that it should be kept at too temp. So I moved it to another room and put the airlock on. I noticed the next day that the fizzing died down quite a bit and the yeast has settled. It doesn't look like there is any bubbling in the airlock either. The beer is less cloudy too.
I'm just wondering if these signs are 'good' or 'bad'... Or what to expect.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

I'm on my 2nd batch (a honey porter)... this one was a little bit different... more experimenting.
It came with a 11g pack of dry yeast (Windsor). I wasn't really sure how much to pitch in One Gallon (I saw so many different answers. So I pitched about half the packet (about 5g's).

I noticed over night the yeast was making the beer bubble like crazy (way more than last time). And the bubbles/crud from the blowoff smells mega-yeasty (smells like I'm baking bread). Did I over pitch this?

thanks again.

Back