Fermentation Vessel Cooling Geometry (Engineer/Scientist Help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosenhops

Reaction score
I have been doing some modeling and simulation for my design project at school (food engineering, final semester), and I was modeling how geometry would effect the cooling of a fermentation vessel. By geometry I am referring to the cross sectional (parallel to the floor) shape. For example, when I model cooling and maintaining a lager at 10C taking into account heat produced by yeast, temperature of the room, etc. an ellipse greatly reduces the "hot spots" seen in circular tanks. Also, I am comparing how temperature would distribute in the Yorkshire square system (a square, and I know that lagers are never done in these, but that's not the point).

So my question is, does anyone have any knowledge of how this impacts fermentation? I can't find anything in the literature (I doubt I am the first to consider this), does anyone have any information that I can reference? Ultimately, any help would be appreciated.

Note: All I did find was the elliptical tank patent from Spokane Industries. I also posted this in the brewing science category of the forum, sorry for the spam.

Back