Fermentation too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLubbert

Reaction score
Hey there partners:

I only got one question: How do you ferment. Always with yeast starter? I ask this because i made a amber that had gravity of 1063 with an hidratated munston yeast pack and got a gravity when i bottled of 1023 and it was with no activity i mean no bubbles in 3 minutes.

i've never used a yeast starter but maybe this is the way always...

cheers :mug:

What was your recipe. One pack of dry yeast is a little low. On the pitching rate but I don't think that's the reason you're final gravity is so high. I wouldn't make a starter with dry yeast, only liquid yeast.

i dont use yeast starters for dry yeasts at all. Perhaps you underpitched or got a stuck fermentation. just because you dont see bubbles doesnt mean it is done fermenting. Your hydrometer will tell you if it is done. How many days has it been in primary?

I never have used munstons, but i use Fermentis S-04/05 very frequently. 1 pack always does the trick, but i'll just pitch 1.5 if i feel its needed.

If i were using liquid yeast I would most certainly use a yeast starter for anything above 1.060.

You may have bottled too early - how long was it fermenting? Because 1.023 is a little high, you would like it to go lower.

One of the easiest ways to get good attenuation is to pitch plenty of healthy yeast, and get it going good right from the start. One pack of Munton's probably won't do that for you (although I've never used Munton's, so I can't say for sure).

If you are trying to rush the batch into bottles, you need two hydrometer readings, a few days apart, to make sure it isn't still fermenting. I don't like to take a lot of readings, so I just let it sit for a nice long time (3 weeks minimum) in primary. Other people do less, which is fine if it works for them.

Cheers!

It had almost 3 weeks... In Chile we don't have liquid yeast, but i don't get why a yeast starter can't be done with dry yeast

Munton's is a very poor yeast. Do you have any better yeast strains to use? Munton's is used for beers high in simple sugar and low in malt sugar, as it has problems fermenting maltose (the sugar in beer wort).

The recipe and process you used would help. Some brands of malt extract have a great deal of unfermentable sugars that always leave you with a high final gravity. If you started with all grain and mashed with too high of a temperature and lots of Crystal malts you could end up high too.

Yooper said:
Munton's is a very poor yeast. Do you have any better yeast strains to use? Munton's is used for beers high in simple sugar and low in malt sugar, as it has problems fermenting maltose (the sugar in beer wort).

I'm betting this is the culprit

The recipe is 12,5 lb base malt, 10 oz caramel malt, 1 oz toasted malt (national malt).
Simple Mash 155° for 90 mins
0' 14 g kent golding
40' 10 g kent goling
68' 4 g willamate

I got another batch jst like that and i think it will turn with even lower fermentation. I have them in plastic food grade carboys. U think i should open it and add other munston pack?

Cheers
:mug:

First I would suggest you check your thermometer against a lab grade one to verify that you are accurate with the 155 degree mash temp. If you are a few degrees higher than that you will create more unfermentable sugars so your final gravity will be higher than desired.

That brings another question: Where is the best part to put the thermometer in? i put it like 4 inches below the highest point of the wort

Cheers!!:mug:

The recipe is 12,5 lb base malt, 10 oz caramel malt, 1 oz toasted malt (national malt).
Simple Mash 155° for 90 mins
0' 14 g kent golding
40' 10 g kent goling
68' 4 g willamate

I got another batch jst like that and i think it will turn with even lower fermentation. I have them in plastic food grade carboys. U think i should open it and add other munston pack?

Cheers
:mug:

No, With a mash temp of 155 degrees, and using Munton's yeast, that isn't going to any lower. Munton's yeast is junk, and won't attenuate well with complex long-chained sugars (like from wort) anyway, but a higher mash temp means even more unfermentables and the Munton's will NOT do it.

That brings another question: Where is the best part to put the thermometer in? i put it like 4 inches below the highest point of the wort

Cheers!!:mug:

In a mash, you stir, stir, stir, stir, stir so that the mash is completely equalized throughout. Then check the temperature in several places. If it is different in one place than other, stir some more. Then, you can check anywhere and know that it's ok.

Yooper said:

Also, is it Munton's standard or gold? (yellow/green pack or gold) From what I know, standard is the one with issues. Gold should have ok attenuation.

Also, is it Munton's standard or gold? (yellow/green pack or gold) From what I know, standard is the one with issues. Gold should have ok attenuation.

Yellow with Green letters...

Thanks for your answers guys!! They are VERY helpfull :D:D:D

I can get a lot of more yeasts... Here is a list:

1 new store:
Safale S 04
Safale US 05
Safbrew S 33
Safbrew WB06
Safbrew T 5
Winsor
Brewferm Blanch
Munich
Muntons
Muntons Gold
Nottingham
Safbrew T58
Cooper´s

That's about it... Which one would you recomend for a good amber ale?

Cheers and THANK YOU SO MUCH... I'll start making friends so i can send my pro brew when i become a pro ;)

For American style beers like ambers and pale ales, I think S05 is a winner. For English style beers, S04 is a great yeast. I also use S04 for stouts and porters as well. Munich yeast is good for wheat beers, I believe (I've only used it once, a few years ago).

Stay away from the Cooper's and the Munton's- the rest are quality yeast but I don't have experience with them.

Since S05 and the other dry yeast you mentioned come in 11 gram packages, there is no need for a starter for up to 23L of beer. If you're making more than 23L, or a super high alcohol beer, you can just use two packages.

For American style beers like ambers and pale ales, I think S05 is a winner. For English style beers, S04 is a great yeast. I also use S04 for stouts and porters as well. Munich yeast is good for wheat beers, I believe (I've only used it once, a few years ago).

Stay away from the Cooper's and the Munton's- the rest are quality yeast but I don't have experience with them.

Since S05 and the other dry yeast you mentioned come in 11 gram packages, there is no need for a starter for up to 23L of beer. If you're making more than 23L, or a super high alcohol beer, you can just use two packages.

+1 on this as i have the same exact thoughts. S04 is great for english ales, S05 for anything american or anything where you want a very clean neutral yeast. The stuff is almost bullet proof and can handle just about anything.

good luck

Latest posts

Back