Fermentation too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MChopz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I currently have an english IPA and an oatmeal stout that have been in primary for 4 weeks now. I'm going to be out of town for a research conference and I was wondering if the beers would be okay sitting in the primary fermenter for another 3 weeks, or would this cause off flavors? I plan on dry hopping the IPA in a secondary fermenter on week 7 assuming the beer is still okay by that point and I will just rack the stout into a keg at the end of week 7. Also, should I be concerned about any oxygen within the hop pellets causing redox reactions in my beer or will it be a small enough amount that it wont matter? I plan on filling the secondary with co2 gas before racking into it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks all!

With today's yeasts, leaving your beer in primary for eight weeks should work fine. There are folks who write about leaving it for twelve, even twenty-four weeks, and nothing bad happening.

The small amount of oxygen on your hop pellets should be no problem.

You'll be fine. I recently left a brown ale in primary for ten weeks, and a Belgian golden strong for nine. Great flavors in both.

I not only live there, I teach the brewing science course at NMSU. And my office mate is a fellow home brewer.

It's a "Viewing the Wider World" elective course offered through the Chem. E. dept. All of my students have to home brew at least one batch of beer. Most of them do two or three. If you'd like to guest lecture on home brewing (or if anyone else would), please feel free to drop by (let me know in advance).

Back