Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STFulton1

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Jasper's I eat Danger for Breakfast Stout on Sunday. Pitched two new vials of yeast. I had vigorous bubbling all day Monday but no bubbles on Tuesday or today. I missed the OG a bit and ended up at 1.072
Am I OK? Do I need to add more yeast? Is this typical for this recipe?

So it sounds like you direct-pitched two vials in lieu of making a starter? Am I understanding that correctly?

It sounds like you underpitched a little bit, but not by a ton, so I would still expect it to come out okay.

It's important to keep in mind that airlock bubbles are a poor way to gauge fermentation progress. Use your hydrometer for this. Also, visibly inspect the wort. Do you see a layer of foam/krausen on top of the wort?

I agree with hunter's post, except if it's in a bucket fermenter, I wouldn't open the lid yet. I'm one of those who leaves it alone until 3 days before bottling day - to take a preliminary gravity sample. You can get some idea of kraeusen in a bucket by darkening the room, and shine a flashlight down on top of the lid. The kraeusen or kraeusen ring will show on the side.

Due to the coffee bean oils, I read that there really won't be any kraeusen.
I took a quick peak and there is a think layer on top.

If you got bubbles, you got fermentation. It could be a stalled fermentation, but I'd just be patient. Even with coffee oils, I'd definitely expect to see a krausen ring form, particular on plastic.

How warm are you fermenting? What yeast strain? If the vials were fresh and we're talking a 5 gal batch (not clear from post), it's really not an underpitch, and you could blast through even a big batch in 48 hours. Give it 3 weeks - don't peek! - and then check final gravity. I bet you'll be fine.

GL
P

A 1.072? Leave it set for at least two weeks. Three will help the yeast clean up after itself, and let all flavors meld. Four weeks really won't hurt the beer any. My weak, 1.052 beers are allowed to ferment 3 weeks and that's for a 3 gallon batch.
The more complex the beer (chocolate, harsh flavors, or high alcohol) beers all require more time to be in their prime. It's like meatloaf... always better the day after. Kyle

Thanks guys. I have all intentions on 3-4 weeks of fermentation....just didnt expect the bubbles to stop after 1 day. This is a 5 gallon batch. I used 2 vials of white labs london ale yeast.

Back