fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddyd

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm fairly new at this. I got a Mr Beer kit and made a few batches with it and the extract kits. This time I used the Diablo Pale Ale. I also used the booster pack with this batch. My question is how long to let it ferment? Does the booster pack take longer for the yeast to consume the extra sugars ? The last pale ale I brewed after 14 days was clear and did not taste sweet at all. This has been in for 16 days now and is still pretty cloudy. How will I know when it's ready to bottle?
Thanks for the help.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm fairly new at this. I got a Mr Beer kit and made a few batches with it and the extract kits. This time I used the Diablo Pale Ale. I also used the booster pack with this batch. My question is how long to let it ferment? Does the booster pack take longer for the yeast to consume the extra sugars ? The last pale ale I brewed after 14 days was clear and did not taste sweet at all. This has been in for 16 days now and is still pretty cloudy. How will I know when it's ready to bottle?
Thanks for the help.

The sure way to know if fermentation is complete is two SG readings, taken several days apart, that are the same.
The booster pack you used may have contained more complex fermentables in the form of DME and a less fermentable sugar to add some sweetness. Do you know the contents of the booster pack?
I haven't brewed a pale ale, but the two I have purchased had a hint of sweet and malty taste, and they were slightly cloudy.
The Mr Beer kit is not that large in volume so multiple SG readings may seem like taking to much volume away from what could end up in the bottle, especially if you are using one of the special test cylinders that need a large volume of beer to float the hydrometer.
With a Mr Beer kit I could be comfortable with one SG reading before bottling with certain caveats.

Time: I would not go less than three weeks in the fermentor.
Temperature control: If I was able to keep the temperature of the wort consistent, and in the low to mid range of the optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast.
Yeast: Dry yeast was properly rehydrated before pitching, or the correct size starter was made for liquid yeast.
SG: The specific gravity, at the end of three weeks, indicated the attenuation was at the high end of the yeasts estimated attenuation.

I might also bottle in plastic, for an extra measure of safety, in case fermentation had not finished.

After reading this over, I would take multiple SG readings , for peace of mind, because there are to many variables with fermenting out a beer to make any guesses as to when it is complete.

thanks for the reply. Wasn't too sure about whether too long or too short time in fermenter. I'll be patient and give it 21 days or so. Don't have the plastic bottles, but have about 50 flip tops from Germany. To be safe should I give it more head space in the bottle??

thanks for the reply. Wasn't too sure about whether too long or too short time in fermenter. I'll be patient and give it 21 days or so. Don't have the plastic bottles, but have about 50 flip tops from Germany. To be safe should I give it more head space in the bottle??

Go with a standard head space of 1 to 1.5 inches that a bottling wand produces. Excess head space, according to some, can produce higher pressures and increase the risk of oxidation during conditioning.

Didn't they stop using the booster after Cooper's bought them? Was it the powdered/crystally stuff in the white bag?

What was the date on the kit?

I always give my brews 3-4 weeks in primary and it has always been done fermenting at the time of transferring or bottling after that.

Latest posts

Back