fermentation time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
so I got out of my comfort zone and brewed a new type of beer I've never done before. A california Common.

I used WLP810 which calls for colder fermentation temp. It's been at 58-60 for the past 14 days.

The recepie calls for 14 days in primary. It took 3 days to show sings of fermentation so do I need to add 3 days to the 14 days or just bottle it after 14 days.

I forgot to take my OG so that doesn't help much !

thanks
ERnie

There are very few beers which you can harm by letting sit longer, and many will improve. Me, I'd prolly go 3 weeks or so. Course you can still use your Hydro to check if your gravity is near where it's supposed to be, and that it's no-longer dropping, but I never do.

Days don't matter. Gravity readings do. You don't need your OG. I consider it done when the gravity is stable for three consecutive days. I personally don't bother to check the gravity for at least a week (usually two).

Back