fermentation temps: have i made a mistaske?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfcwilliams

Reaction score
so i brewed some hard apple cider the other day. soon after, i brewed another batch of beer. somehow i mixed up the temps at which cider ferments with the temps at which ale ferments. so, i put my wort in about 50-60 degree temps. it bubbled for about 2.5 days before i realized it was too cold. so i moved it back to a warmer environment on the 3rd day. it's been in 60-70 degree temps for 12 hours now. however, it has not started bubbling again. i realize that it may have fermented completely in the colder temps, but i feel like it probably has a bit more bubbling to do (if that makes any sense).

so, my question is how the colder temps may have affected my wort? did the cold temps ruin my fermentation? if so, is there anything i can do to ensure my fermentation continues in a positive direction?

thanks for any information!

It should be fine. If your room temperature was 60, the fermenting beer could have easily been 5-8 degrees warmer anyway, so you were probably in the target temperature range anyway. Remember, fermentation temperature is the temperature of the liquid inside the fermenter, not the room temperature.

I'm not sure why you're keeping your cider so cold, though. Most wine yeast strains like temperatures in the 70s, and most ale yeast strains do well in the mid-60s, so they can be in the same area without any problem.

In that case , it may actually be finished with primary. I have used munton's in several of my beers and I have always had a fast fermentation, even with colder temps.
Typically people use champagne, wine, or cider specific yeasts for brewing cider and those yeasts ferment at a higher temp. You should be fine.

Colder temps are usually only going to slow down your fermentation time, rather than add any negative flavors. It's usually warmer than recommended temps that are going to cause the most problems.

Back