Fermentation Temps continually cycle from 62-68... issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonsovermyhammy

Reaction score
Hello all. New poster here, although I've read HBT for some time. I checked through the old topics and forum posts, but didnt see anything on point (likely because no one created a ridiculous problem like this...).

All of my prior all-grain batches have had off flavors that I (mainly) attribute to high fermentation temps, which typically is around 75-78degs.

So, to correct it, I filled up a large tupperware container with water, high enough to cover 95% of the carboy, and then add frozen water bottles to the tupperware to reduce and keep the temp of my ferm closet as close to 62 as I can. I'm using a glass 6.5 gal glass carboy with just under 5 gals of stout in it.

My problem is that I can't keep the temps steady at 62. Due to work and sleeping, the temps continually craw from 62 to 68, and then after adding frozen bottles, back to 62. daily. never higher than 68, but i don't know if the rolling ferm will adversely affect the taste. any suggestions or insight?

thanks.

From what I've listened to on The Brewing Network they (Jamil & John - Brew Strong) said to keep it consistent as possible. Better to keep it at 68 steady then swing down & up.

I noticed a big improvement in my batches after I set up a better temperature controlled environment. I think 62-68 is probably better than 75 degrees, but keeping the range small is even better. The issue (supposedly) with bigger temperature swings is that it "stresses" the yeast. (I like my yeast friends to be mellow and to have a good, stress free life! :) )

thanks for the quick responses. I'll see if I can keep it at 68 then, since that seems to be the settling temp at the high end in the water.

I just started doing the same thing, and will be bottling the results asap. From what I understand, it's large uncontrolled swings that are bad. A swamp cooler is a somewhat controlled environment, and it will be a huge improvement over 75.

To the OP, take note that nobody yet has said they've actually experienced problems with 6 degree temp swings, just speculation and "I hear that...".

If your beer would be good at 62f and would also be good at 68f then perhaps it's just fine swinging around that range. I tend to dismiss speculation about yeast "health" unless people have objectively measured or demonstrated it.

If you're using yeasts that are happy in that range (eg S-04 or US-05), then you'll probably be fine. Your results won't be as consistent as professional breweries but they will be without the problems and off-flavors of homebrewers fermenting at 75 with no control whatsoever. As long as you can keep your yeast in their happy place, your beer will be better than 75% of homebrewers, but it won't have that professional consistency. If that's what you're looking for, go to a more controlled environment. As far as homebrewing goes, it's most important to keep the beer in it's "happy place" until FG is reached and a little beyond while the yeast is cleaning up.

See if you can find a more consistent area to ferment. My basement is consistently 70 in the summer and consistently 65 in the winter. The summer brews swing a little like what you are saying but I just put one frozen water bottle in during the winter and it stays at 62 for at least 5 days.

My recent workaround (which several people do on here) is to do a double bucket fermentation. Put your carboy in one bucket with room for water and the bottles, and place that in a larger bucket of water. This helps with regulation if you can get a high end ferm. chamber. Its a little more of a pain but even a cheap summer party bucket will help.

My carboys right now are in a large mop bucket of water...in water in a cooler

thanks. i actually just finished up building a fermentation box, although it's far more primitive than some i've seen on here (I don't have a fan or icebox, etc...).

I basically took some old cedar fencing post scraps and made a box that would house my tupperware. The I insulated the inside of the box with 2 inch foam (also leftover in my garage), and covered the foam with a heat/cool shielding that looks like tinfoil (leftover too). I sprayed some foam insulator in the cracks/gaps, and then a pair of $2 hinges and a lid finished off the project.

It looks like a sauna, or an outhouse for a very short man. I'll try to get photos this weekend.

Anyway, I stuck the box in the guest room closet, (gingerly) transferred my carboy into it and filled up the Tupperware. I tossed in a few frozen water bottles tonight, which is the first night i've used it, so I'll see how it goes.

(I hope to actually have a temp controlled fridge at some point, but this should hold me over for a while).

My recent workaround (which several people do on here) is to do a double bucket fermentation. Put your carboy in one bucket with room for water and the bottles, and place that in a larger bucket of water. This helps with regulation if you can get a high end ferm. chamber. Its a little more of a pain but even a cheap summer party bucket will help.

Technically, the OP has a double bucket system, one bucket with cold water and one "bucket" with beer. He's been checking the temp of the outer water bath, which is prone to more swings than the inner compartment of beer. Thick glass is an excellent insulator. Instead of water bottles, you could use those blue lunchbox ice packs, which insulate a little better.

Back