Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeride

Reaction score
Hey folks, first timer here.

My question pertains to the fact that the ambient temperature of my basement closet where I plan to ferment is ~59 degrees. Given that the fermentation process is an exothermic reaction and that I plan to be brewing mostly ales, do I need to consider purchasing a carboy warmer?

Thanks in advance!

Hell no! Most brewers would love to have a reliable 59 degrees which will place your actual ferm temp in the low 60s somewhere. That temperature will give you a really nice clean profile from a wide range of yeasts.

Sweet! Thanks for the speedy reply! Yeah, I live in a 3 flat condo unit and even in the dead of summer, it stays pretty chilly downstairs. I just got the carboys yesterday, slapped the temp reader on there, and left them in the closet overnight. Bright green on the 58 and a mild yellow on the 60...so probably hovering around 58 degrees (and we haven't even turned on the AC yet...)

Thanks again!

i bet during fermentation it your beer will get up to 64degrees. fermentation creates its own heat. you'll be just fine temp wise.

Sweet! Thanks for the speedy reply! Yeah, I live in a 3 flat condo unit and even in the dead of summer, it stays pretty chilly downstairs. I just got the carboys yesterday, slapped the temp reader on there, and left them in the closet overnight. Bright green on the 58 and a mild yellow on the 60...so probably hovering around 58 degrees (and we haven't even turned on the AC yet...)

Thanks again!

If you ever need to do something like a Belgian that likes higher temps, you will still be golden...start it off cool in that room for a few days, then just move your carboy into the main part of your house or get a brew belt like you were saying. But yeah, I just love that temperature range. You want some more good news? You can do lagers or steam beers wonderfully there too! For the lagers, you go with a yeast like S-23 and use enough of an ice bath to get your temperature down to about 54 or 55. It'll work great.

More great news! My first brew day is this Saturday. I will report back as to the fermenting temps on Sunday. Doing all-grain right out the gates...should be fun!

Right out of the gates, huh? That's fantastic!

I was just in Chicago visiting some family a couple weeks ago. I loaded up on Portillos and Lou Malnati's while I was there. MAN, do I wish I could get those down here. I'm already craving another spicy Italian beef.

Your ambient temperatures in your house certainly trump my own. It's HOT down this way. Ha ha. I hope it all goes well for you, and cheers man!

:mug:

Good luck. The first AG day is overwhelming. Make sure your yeast is ready in advance.

I plan on making a start on Friday so it'll be ready to pitch on Saturday. I should be good to go. And AG doesn't seem THAT overwhelming. It actually seems a bit easier to me...i guess it's the managing temps that will be the hardest part.

Brewing software helps for managing mash temps, but you will still need to calibrate to your own equipment. It can take a few batches. Sounds like you're on the right track tho!

Back