Fermentation Temperature in Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gishua

Reaction score
Hey all!
Thanks for all your help thus far. I have successfully brewed a few beers and a a few have come out off-tasting. Since there are about an infinity of off-flavors and I'm still new to brewing, I'm not sure what it's being caused by. I was wondering if someone out there could help me narrow down my issue.

I live in Florida so we have hi-temps outside most of the year. I believe the off-flavors are due to the fermentation temps, but wanted to give you a run down on which beers have turned out ok and which have not and maybe you can give me a good resolution.

Brown Ales
Use S-04 yeast (dry), ferment for 2-4 weeks and they come out off-tasting. I wouldn't say sour but maybe fruity. Not like it's horrible but not good either.
Extract Recipes: Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber, Northern Brewer SS Minnow.
Temperature in house is around 78 during the day and 74 at night.

Dark Brown Ale
I did a partial mashes with Wyeast Thames Valley and S-05 and they turned out pretty good. I'm still new to brewing so they aren't AWESOME beers, but for me they were pretty good.
Recipe: Partial mash with darker ales than the above. Not sure how to classify the darker brown ale.
Temperature is about the same

Extract Pumpkin Ale
S-05 and turned out pretty good
Recipe: Midwest Supplies Pumpkin Extract
Temperature the same

Anyhow...I think it may be a combination of the yeast and my home temperature. Although the WYEAST temps say it needs to be lower than what I have, so that is what is throwing me off.

I'm using 6 gal buckets so if I need to cool them down what's the best way if this is the reason for the weird tastes.

Thanks and sorry for being long winded.
Cheers!
Josh

If you don't have the budget for a real fermentation chamber, a cheap and easy way is by using tub full of water, with ice bottles. Just get a big rubbermaid tub, or really anything that can fit your bucket/carboy and a bunch of extra water - I've even used brewkettles. Put your fermenter in it, then fill it up the rest of the way with water, and put in some ice. You can use the reusable ice blocks, or water bottles you fill and then freeze, whatever. Swap out the bottles a few times per day, and you can really lower your temperature a lot.

The biggest thing you can do to improve your beers is going to be temperature control. You can make the best wort in the world, but if you ferment it at 80 degrees (remember yeast produces heat while it ferments, so it will be even hotter than your ambient temperature!) it will turn out awful.

You may also think about trying some belgian beers and saisons. Belle Saison is a dry yeast that makes some really tasty brews and loves warm temperatures.

Yes, those temps are quite high for anything but a Saison yeast, and you will get off flavors. Like QuercusMax said, it doesn't matter how good your wort is if you're not in a temperature range that makes the yeast happy.

Fermentation is the biggest factor on how good or bad your beer turns out, so invest in a fermentation chamber if those temps are constant in the Florida heat, or at least a swamp cooler to bring the temp down some.

Thanks guys. That blows that I have to buy yet more stuff but gotta do it for decent beer.

What if the beer temps fluctuate bc of the froZen water bottles.

Thanks!!!
Josh

Cool, but fluctuating temps are better than hot but fluctuating temps that you have now with no temp control.

Temp control is the best bang for the buck for new brewers. Get a dorm style fridge and stc1000 temp controller on Amazon for cheap. Make sure your bucket will fit into the fridge first before you buy. Should be able to get stuff for $120 (or less if used).

The next best thing to get is an accurate thermometer that you calibrate.

The container and ice bottle trick works too.
TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back