Fermentation Temperature Important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
My first batch of beer & I overlooked one big variable...fermentation temp.
I brewed Tuesday & after putting my fermenter in the garage, I noticed that the fermometer was up to 78 (maybe higher, since it wasn't green). It was like this for about 24 hours before I put a fan on it last night & over about 14 hours, it worked its way down to 66. I'm using Wyeast 1056 & the range says 60-72.
I'm right where I want to be, but I just learned that I may have stressed my yeast by bringing it down so fast. ARGH! Things still seem the same as far as activity, bubbling is just a bit slower, but I still have things rising to the top, dropping to the bottom, etc...
What is the worst that will result from my lack of diligence with temperature control this early? :drunk:

1056 is one of my favored strains. i had the temp on my last IPA pop up to 76-78 range. just give it time to clean up after itself and you probably won't notice any strange off-flavors. depending on the style you're aiming for, it might even help a tad (that's not to say it's a good practice though). temp control during fermentation seems to be one of the most common "oops" points for new brewers. i know it was for me ;)

To answer your subject line, YES. Fermentation temperature control is probably THE most important aspect of brewing.

To answer your actual question, you may get high fruitiness, fusel alcohols, and depending on the yeasties, they may go dormant after such a large temperature swing downwards. That's the worst that will happen.

1056 is one of my favored strains. i had the temp on my last IPA pop up to 76-78 range. just give it time to clean up after itself and you probably won't notice any strange off-flavors. depending on the style you're aiming for, it might even help a tad (that's not to say it's a good practice though). temp control during fermentation seems to be one of the most common "oops" points for new brewers. i know it was for me ;)

I was so proud of myself. My yeast starter was firing on all cylinders (maybe too hot though now that I think about it), my wort making was spot on, my sanitization was perfect, EVERYTHING...except this. I appreciate the help though, I'll be sure to give it PLENTY of time to clean up...hopefully there is enough yeast still left to do that.

My first batch was the only batch I have made that I wasn't proud of. I fermented at an ambiet of around 75 and imagine it got over 80. After 2 months in bottles the off flavors had faded quite a bit. Some people are lucky and don't get a ton of off flavors at higher temps, if you do just be patient. After a few months or more it will be much better.

Only sanitation is equally as important as fermentation temps when brewing beer. There are many other variables that occupy us to improve our craft, but as long as those two rules are followed, and the recipe is reliable, you will almost always make at least good beer.

Even though your fermenting temps were on the high side I think you'll end up ok. I am constantly surprised at how forgiving beer brewing actually is. (Or maybe we are all just alcoholic's and it's the buzz that matters :drunk: ). Overall, even beer I'm certain I've ruined, has been drinkable, and I've finished the entire batch.

I can't say the same thing for some food dishes I've made.

Back