Fermentation temperature discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beer that is actively fermenting will typically be at a higher temp than ambient. This can range from a couple degrees to up to something like 10 degrees. Most people tape their probe to the side of a carboy and use something to insulate it.

beer that is actively fermenting will typically be at a higher temp than ambient. This can range from a couple degrees to up to something like 10 degrees. Most people tape their probe to the side of a carboy and use something to insulate it.

So, what you're saying is I need to set my temp controller to 50 to get the fermenting beer to 60 degrees. And that the 1 gallon jug of water isn't a good representation of the temperature of the 5 gallons of wort fermenting in the carboy?

close, I'm saying that you should not use a 1 gallon jug of water at all and instead tape your probe to the side of your carboy and set the temperature to your proper fermentation temp. That should put you within a degree or two of the temperature that you're shooting for. If you have multiple batches going, use the one that is the most recently brewed as the fermentation temperature is most critical in the first few days of fermentation.

I'll have some personal input on this in a few weeks! I just started my first beer using a fermentation chamber. Almost every brewer I ask about ways to improve the quality of homebrew says fermentation temp control is #1.

Exactly! A probed taped to the side of your fermenter and insulated will match to within 1 degree the internal fermentation temp.

Funny thing about this... I'm checking the fermenter once or twice daily and the smells that are coming out of it are pretty cool. I checked it this morning and I'm getting a ripe banana smell. Still fermenting... slowly.

I'm anxious to taste this beer... even if it is several weeks out.

It's a fairly big beer... OG 1.071. The last three 7+% ABV beers that I brewed, I fermented at room temp ~68 degrees. They all have a slightly harsh alcohol flavor. Brewed them several months ago and they haven't lost any of the harshness. I'm thinking it may be fusil alcohol that's giving it that flavor. I'm leaving them alone for another month or so to see if they mellow out any. The fermentation chamber is an effort to remedy this issue. We'll see... fingers crossed.

Funny thing about this... I'm checking the fermenter once or twice daily and the smells that are coming out of it are pretty cool. I checked it this morning and I'm getting a ripe banana smell. Still fermenting... slowly.

I'm anxious to taste this beer... even if it is several weeks out.

It's a fairly big beer... OG 1.071. The last three 7+% ABV beers that I brewed, I fermented at room temp ~68 degrees. They all have a slightly harsh alcohol flavor. Brewed them several months ago and they haven't lost any of the harshness. I'm thinking it may be fusil alcohol that's giving it that flavor. I'm leaving them alone for another month or so to see if they mellow out any. The fermentation chamber is an effort to remedy this issue. We'll see... fingers crossed.

This is my favorite part about the fermentation chamber so far. Opening it up and filling the kitchen with CO2 stink and fermentation smell. Can't wait to drink this one. I taped the probe to the side of bucket on the opposite side of the cooling block in my fridge. I set the fridge to "low" so that when it kicks on it won't have enough power to really fluctuate the temperature in places the probe is NOT. I keep it at 62 degrees (kolsch yeast).

My fermentation chamber is in my unheated garage, so I use a dual stage controller, which will turn on a heat source if it gets too cool, and the fridge if it gets too warm. Like BigFloyd, I love being able to let the beer go through a range automatically, so if I'm starting at 62F, I'll set the heat to come on at 61F with a 1 degree variance, and set the cooling to come on at 66F with a 1 degree variance (so between 62F and 65F, it is neither heating nor cooling). I'll pitch at 62F, let the controller keep it from going below 62F or above 65F, and let the heat of fermentation ramp it up to 65F from 62F. If I'm doing a diacetyl rest, I'll manually change my controller settings and raise it up to 68-70F, and then cold crash it. I'm still experimenting with cold crashing - as was mentioned on another recent thread, cold crashing too rapidly MAY produce yeast stress and off flavors. IMO I can't say one way or the other.

:mug:

Can you describe what you use as a heating element for the second stage? I ask because I'm currently building one very similar to what you describe and not sure what direction to go with the hot side....

Can you describe what you use as a heating element for the second stage? I ask because I'm currently building one very similar to what you describe and not sure what direction to go with the hot side....

I'm currently using a Brew Belt, which is fine for one fermenter, although I use glass carboys and it specifically says not to use on glass... I'm wanting something that will heat the ambient air rather than directly on the fermentor, so I can have 2 fermentors getting the same treatment instead of one heated and one getting the ambient only. I'm looking at a ceramic heating "bulb" but would love to hear what others use too. The light bulb in the coffee can is just too much risk for me, although if I could pick up an old ceramic light bulb socket, I might try that. I just don't want a fire in my garage!

I'm doing a bit of a happy dance here, after scoring a free chest freezer on CL! So now I get to clean it up (it is in serious need), and then get another dual stage controller and heat source. I'm so jazzed, because I can do more lagers now without tying up my only fermentation chamber for months!

I checked out the controller from risendeadbrewing.com for $40, wired, but it's a single stage controller. Anyone find a better deal than just getting theSTC-1000 and wiring it themselves?

I'm currently using a Brew Belt, which is fine for one fermenter, although I use glass carboys and it specifically says not to use on glass... I'm wanting something that will heat the ambient air rather than directly on the fermentor, so I can have 2 fermentors getting the same treatment instead of one heated and one getting the ambient only. I'm looking at a ceramic heating "bulb" but would love to hear what others use too. The light bulb in the coffee can is just too much risk for me, although if I could pick up an old ceramic light bulb socket, I might try that. I just don't want a fire in my garage!

About 2 years ago I built a version of this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-fermentation-chamber-build-102846/ . I use a ceramic 100w infrared heating element for the heating stage. Its in my garage and it can hold temps in the 80's without a problem. Fire is a concern. I could not find a better alternative for heating the entire chamber. To mitigate the fire risk. I have lined the inside of the chamber with fire treated plywood from the HD. This doesn't make it fire proof, but more so than foam board alone. I put a smoke detector right over the chamber.

Back