Fermentation Temp????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
Doing a kit with Red Star wine yeast. Its a reisling. Temp range is 45-95:drunk: I would like to ferment like I do beer at about 63 to avoid hot alcohol flavors. Is that even a problem? First Wine here

Thanks!

Late response, but my last three kits have been fermented cool. I did one of the chocolate raspberry ports, with 3x premiere cuvee (plus yeast nutrient) @ 57 degrees, and also did a Luna Bianca the exact same way. Mind you the port was 3 gallon and already came with 2 packs of yeast. The Luna Bianca was 6 gallons and came with only 1.

The port finished out pretty dry (before back-sweetening) and if my calcs are correct comes to 19.5%. I still bottled it in about 6 weeks. This is some mighty fine stuff. I don't know that it's real port, but I love it.

The Luna Bianca was bottled in about 7 weeks, but I was being lazy - could have done it earlier. This is pretty good also.

I've got a pinot noir going right now, similar story - only a few weeks in, though.

I'm no expert, nor do I play one on TV. YMMV, etc. I will say that compared to my two prior batches (fermented at house temps in the summer), these are significantly cleaner tasting and were ready for drinking before the others. I'm drinking these, where I'm sampling the prior two occasionally.

Also, I'm treating these like I would a lager - chill it down to temp before pitching the yeast. I've been putting the kit in the fermentation fridge the night before I start the batch.

Back