Fermentation temp too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
Last night i finished brewing up an IPA, I oxygenated and pitched some WLP090 San Diego Super yeast and set my temp range on my johnson thermostat to 68 with a differential of 2 degrees. This morning I woke to find that the wort had cooled down to about 62, maybe even colder through the night.

Now the only reason I'm kind of freaking out is because I have never used wlp090 before and the stated temp range on the bottle is from 66-70. So should I be worried that the yeast just floccd out or should it be fine once it gets up to the set temp range? I don't see any activity yet but then again I don't use an airlock and it's only been about 11 hours.

I think you're just fine. Adjust the temp up a little to the ideal range if you feel you need to wake the yeast up, but 62 shouldn't be a problem for you...I'd bet you end up with a really clean fermentation this way. Also I would expect a longer lag time.

Further, I think consistency is important in your temps through the fermentation...more so than a few degrees outside of the ideal range.

It'll be fine. Might be a tad on the low side but it's better than being on the high side.

It's only been 11 hours, I wouldn't worry unless there are no signs of fermentation in 72 hours.

Do you know how much yeast you pitched, if it was only 1 vial it will have a long lag time until you see signs of fermentation.

I made a starter, should have been around 350 billion cells pitched in. I guess I'll just be patient and try to relax lol

I pitch most of my ales @ 60F, both American and English strains. I use 1968 ESB alot (low end 64F) and have yet to stall out. I think WLP090 will suffice @ 62F. Just remember, lower temps can slow down fermentation. Look at lagers...

I dont quite do an open fermentation, even though ive wanted to for some time now. Instead i run a thermowell through the drilled portion of my fermenter's lid for better temperature control and leave the lid on but not closed down for pressure to escape. I've made around 10 brews this way, and so far they've all turned out great

Okay so after waiting almost 72 hours with no yeast activity I admitted defeat and decided to pitch a packet of US-05, there were signs of activity about 5 hours later and is now fermenting very strongly.

This was my first experience with a dead yeast vial. Last time I used WLP090 I also wasn't too impressed with how long it took to start up and so will probably never use this strain again.

A few batches ago i had a stout perform a 3 day lag, my first lag ever. I was soo confused as to why, the yeast had been grown from a single cell and was stepped up to a fat healthy pitch. Yeast can be mysterious sometimes. The stout was one of the best products ive ever made too.

strange.

Ive read that if you have too much sediment, it will actually pull the yeast down with it as it settles.

Could be low oxygen?

Also, you mention dead yeast vial, but you said earlier you made a starter right? so the starter wasnt active? that would have been an indication of poor yeast health for sure.

Yeah I did notice that the starter did seem fairly inactive compared to my previous starters but the cell count seemed to increase appropriately so i pitched it hoping that it would pull through.

Alot of people have also mentioned that maybe my oxygenation was too low, and perhaps it might have been? I usually oxygenate by placing a diffusion stone connected to a small O2 tank and letting it run in the wort for 1:15. Is that good enough, too much, too little? I'd love to hear peoples opinions on the matter.

Is really really difficult to say how much O2 you are putting into your solution. Lots of factors. I generally do about a minute. Some say 30 seconds. Some say do it twice. Once just before pitch and once again like 12 or 18 hours after pitch to resupply the yeast with more oxygen to absorb before going to work

One thing to avoid is opening up the valve on the O2 tank too much. You want to make sure the O2 is dissolving and not just floating up to the top of your solution. You should see very very small bubbles, not large amounts of gas rushing to the top of your fermenter.

I agree mostly there, except you would only oxygenate twice if the OG was high and your needing to get high attenuation. Basically for big beers.

Back