Fermentation temp range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
My son's friend will be in the area in October, and since he loved the cider we did last time, I'm planning on making him a case. We'll just use Publix apple juice (no preservatives), maybe some pectic enzymes, maybe a campden tablet per gallon (maybe not), maybe a cup of sugar per gallon (maybe not, we don't care if it's strong or not - just tasty) and some Nottingham Ale yeast.

I haven't decided about fermenting it all the way out then backsweetening with non-fermentable sweetener (aka fake sugar), or watch the gravity and stove-top pastuerize. We tried both methods with success.

But - it is HOT out! In my nice cool garage, it's 80 degrees! I have my beer in a Coleman picnic cooler, and am keeping that at a steady 60-62. There isn't room to put cider in - but I also have a swamp cooler.

So - what temperature range should I aim for when fermenting? Is high 60's, low 70's okay, or do I want to try to keep it in the low to mid 60's? Do I need to keep it cool for the full 4 to 6 weeks before bottling?

The only time when your temps are most critical (unless you're lagering) is when you're actually fermenting the beer. After the first few weeks, when fermentation has wound down, you can just store it in the coolest place you have available with no harm to the cider.

I like to keep my ciders around 65F, but 68-72 isn't going to throw it off much.

I would keep it a consistant temperature, but I agree 68 - 72 won't be too bad at all. Also just another note on your ingredients, I don't think you will need pectic enzyme or campden tablets if you're just using juice.

Back