Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Currently I am using the Swamp Cooler method for fermentation. I currently have a beer fermenting and I am going to be brewing next week again. I cannot fit both fermenters in the swamp cooler.

Please correct me if I am wrong but do most of the off flavors from fermentation come early in the process.

For the first beer I am using Wyeast 1056 and airlock/blowoff tube activity has pretty much stopped at this point. I typically keep my beers in the fermenter for 4 weeks. I will be dry hopping this one for the last 7 days. Would it be okay to not use the swamp cooler to age this beer? The temp of my house is 72F. I do not want any off flavors from high fermentation temps.

Thank you.

You should be fine with your plan- you're correct that the majority of off flavors are generated during the initial, active portion of fermentation. Your house being at 72 wouldn't put you that bad off, anyway.

What you described is more or less how I do all of my ales.

I use a converted mini-fridge but can only fit one fermentation vessel in it at a time.

I like to wait until the gravity reading stabilize, wait one more day, then take it out of the fridge. I don't know if waiting the extra day is necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Thanks for your help guys. I thought my plan was going to be okay but its good to get reassurance from other brewers.

The problem with fermenting at 72° is that the beer itself will be hotter than this. Let's say it's 5° hotter which isn't unusual. Now you've actually got a 77° ferment. It could even be warmer. It depends on how active your yeast are. I ferment lagers at 48° in the fridge but at that temp I'm probably only getting a degree or so of temp rise from fermentation. It's hard to say if your beer will get "off flavors" since that implies flavors that you don't want. However in some beers those flavors add character so you may enjoy them. Try it out. You never know.

The two biggest improvements to my beer were fermentation temperature control with a dedicated fermentation fridge and water ph adjustment. Everything else was a convenience.

I was wondering the same thing with my 1st and 2nd brew. I have them fermenting now and both are in the basement...Temp varies between 72-75. Should I maybe soak both in a tub of ice or water to drop temp closer to 70? or should this be ok? Temps have been pretty low in PA the past couple days im just worried the temp will rise once humidity come back

Currently I am using the Swamp Cooler method for fermentation. I currently have a beer fermenting and I am going to be brewing next week again. I cannot fit both fermenters in the swamp cooler.

Please correct me if I am wrong but do most of the off flavors from fermentation come early in the process.

For the first beer I am using Wyeast 1056 and airlock/blowoff tube activity has pretty much stopped at this point. I typically keep my beers in the fermenter for 4 weeks. I will be dry hopping this one for the last 7 days. Would it be okay to not use the swamp cooler to age this beer? The temp of my house is 72F. I do not want any off flavors from high fermentation temps.

Thank you.

Agree w/ your plan. It is important that you make sure the temp is steady & prevent any light exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Agree w/ your plan. It is important that you make sure the temp is steady & prevent any light exposure.

+1 ^^^

Keep your beer in the upper 60's if you can for the first 3-5 days. The internal temperature of the beer will drop back to about room temperature once that initial fermentation is finished. Most of the bad stuff that might happen will be passed by then so moving it into your 72F house is fine. Many brewers make this temperature move on purpose to encourage full attenuation.

Important that you keep it in the dark. Any UV hitting those hops will skunk your beer faster than you can imagine.

Cheers! :mug:

Back