Fermentation temp control in a limited space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvgros

Reaction score
I've got a fairly nice setup with a keezer and nice bar ready to serve up whatever I brew. I've got everything I need to efficiently brew 5-10 gallon AG batches. That said, the one variable I wish I could control more is the fermentation temperature (which I do now but not with the control that many of you have with full fermentation chambers).

My issue is space...I have devoted all my space to other things and don't have room for another fridge or "chamber". I've watched a number of these threads over the previous months and gathered some ideas but am curious what you guys would quickly point me to:

Without having a full room/chamber/fridge and needing to do 5-10 gallon batches in a movable and portable way, what equipment/technology/tools should I be looking at to control a flexible and consistent fermentation temperature. I'm not looking for full schematics but just quick guidance and direction.

Carboy jackets? Temp controllers? Anything? I'm not scared of technology as I'm a software dev by trade and have more RaspPi's than most (accumulated over the years). Just not sure how much technology plays into this issue.

I remember one time this distributor came to my restaurant (our focal point is craft beer) and he talked about this new invention that looks like, and essentially is, a long (electrically cooled) icicle that you put into your fermenter to significantly lower the fermentation temperature. I wish I recalled the name of the device but I can't... If this something you'd be interested in, i could do some extra research.

To lower the temperature of fermentation to around 66-68 (from 72-74), I lower the temp of my ales by placing my fermenter in a small pool of water, placing a t-shirt over it and into the water (water is drawn up the shirt by capillary action) and turning on my ceiling fan to full blast, which cools the moisture in the shirt.

Can you find room for a Son of Fermentation Chiller?

Not as big as a fridge or freezer. Very light and easy to move or store when it's empty. Can be driven by a simple or complex controller.

I would buy a Glycol/Beer Chiller as cooling source. If you buy a strong enough version, you should be able to control around a handful of simultaneous batches fermenting. The footprint is small and you can do lagers and ales at the same time.

My issue is space...I have devoted all my space to other things and don't have room for another fridge or "chamber".

I'm puzzled by your statement that you don't have any more room.
A fermentation chamber would go in the same or only slightly more space
that you are currently using for fermentation.
There's no point in re-inventing the wheel. Sears has 7.0 cu/ft freezers on sale all the time for about $229, that and a $70 temperature controller and you are in business.
How portable does it need to be?

Assuming you don't really need to cool, but just maintain temp, a simple solution is a cooler filled with ice/water and a thermostat controlled small water pump.
You can either go with a jacket or just put the carboy or fermenting bucket in another bucket, that you recirculate the water through.
You'd need to drain some water and top off with more ice a couple of times, but it really only is the first few days where tempcontrol is most critical (depending on yeast/style of course).
And insulate as much as you can of course.

Can you find room for a Son of Fermentation Chiller?

Not as big as a fridge or freezer. Very light and easy to move or store when it's empty. Can be driven by a simple or complex controller.

I second this. If space is really a problem and you can't buy a fridge or freezer, a SOFC is a great option and what I did. I had no room for another fridge in my already cramped apartment.

I've attached the original plans by Ken Schwartz but this is a highly customizable build. When I built mine I replaced the thermostat with an STC-1000 type temp controller and moved the ice compartment to sit above the cooling compartment to save on footprint.

View attachment Fermentation Chiller Plans.pdf

WP_20151109_002.jpg

If you have time to wait and money to burn you could go with one of these:
http://www.brewjacket.com/buy-now/

But no one seems to have both of those (certainly not me).

FWIW I use a wine chiller fridge. Minimum footprint, perfect size. I have 2 stacked and it occupies the space that maybe 3 carboys set flush against one another. A maybe 2x3 feet.

Back