Fermentation stuck, or more time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
I have a really hoppy heavy beer from here:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/enjoy-by-revisited.html

The only difference being I used WLP007 yeast. I brewed it exactly a week ago, and I used too much sugar as I'm still learning the ropes (I thought my OG was too low but instead I measured when the wort was too hot). The OG was about 1.094 when it went into the primary.

At any rate, it's been seven days and the gravity is now 1.026. I would think the fermentation should be done by this point - should I try some more WLP007? I'm assuming I'll need to hit it with some O2 as well.

Thanks for the help!

That sounds about right for FG on a beer that size. Take a gravity reading for the next 2 days and if it hasn't moved fermentation is complete. Still, leave it in primary for 3 weeks and it will for sure be done.

Thanks for the feedback... I'm wanting to rack it to a secondary to start a new batch in my primary carboy - will that interfere with any final fermentation? I am going to wait until I get two readings on the gravity over 2 - 3 days to ensure it hasn't changed first.

What temperature is the beer at?

I'd try warming it up to the low 70's (if you're not already there) and giving your fermenter a swirl or two every day. If there are still fermentable sugars in the beer -- and, if you got to 1.094 via an over-large sugar addition, there very well might be -- this will help the yeast stay active and finish them off now, rather than in the bottles.

Even if it has fermented as far as it's going to, a beer that big would probably benefit from another week on the yeast regardless. Putting off your next beer a few days, or shelling out $20 for a brewing bucket, might be a good investment in a beer it sounds like you've already sunk a lot of time and resources into.

I agree that it should be fine to rack to secondary if you want to. Won't hurt it. But keep it away from oxygen. Oxygen is not your beer's friend right now!

Thanks all. The beer has been fermenting at about 62 - 65 degrees, and I warmed that a couple of days ago to 65 - 68. I just turned it up to 70, so it should be about 68 - 71 now. I'll give it a couple gentle swirls and check the gravity in a couple of days.

I'm not planning to start the next beer for another week, so it will be sitting in the primary for at least another 5 - 6 days.

Back