Fermentation smelled great, then terrible (US-05)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Pitched on 7/4, everything seems to be going fine. Fermentation smells great like usual, until 7/9 (5th day), I don't know if that's what sulfur smells like but god damn :eek: It went from smelling good to terrible basically overnight

Any reason to be concerned, or just wait it out? I did ferment this batch a little colder than I usually do (62 degrees, I usually set it to 64), would that cause it?

Still has another 8 days, but just curious since my fermentations have always usually smelled like beer or pretty good (I'd sometimes open the chamber to smell it, yeah I'm weird but I guarantee I'm not the only one lol.).

If there's any consolation, the only time I had a super strong off-smell was a banana bomb smelling IPA I made last year, that ended up being one of my best, cleanest tasting beers when it was all finished. Anyway has something like this happened to anyone?

"Sulphur" as in rotten eggs?
That can be from stressed yeast. 62F is a little cool for US-05.

It will all have dissipated by the time it's done. Just raise the temps slowly to 70F or so as fermentation slows down. That will keep her engaged to finish out, while the conditioning phase will clean up byproducts.

"Sulphur" as in rotten eggs?
That can be from stressed yeast. 62F is a little cool for US-05.

It will all have dissipated by the time it's done. Just raise the temps slowly to 70F or so as fermentation slows down. That will keep her engaged to finish out, while the conditioning phase will clean up byproducts.

Could be a rotten egg smell or just smells 'spoiled' if that makes sense. I increased the temps to 65 this morning. I'm guessing the temps could have been too low, I don't know why I set it to 62, I've usually always done 64 and it's been perfect haha.

Here's an update, at 65 it appears things went back to normal now. Fermentation smells like beer again, never thought 3 degrees would make that much of a difference haha. Yeast dropped and bob's my uncle, should be ready to bottle next week :D

Good to hear!

3 degrees is not a real lot indeed, but for many yeast strains a relatively large factor given their narrow optimal fermentation range. In your case, the 3 degrees fell below the lower margin, pushing her comfort limits, and making her metabolism spew out some (unwanted) byproducts. Many Lager yeasts are "sulfury" too, but they usually get removed when warming up to the diacetyl rest.

I find the sulfury smell highly off-putting, I simply can't drink past it. I have similar aversions with butyric, isovaleric and their accompanying smells. But I like funky sours, bring the barn yard and all the horse blankets you've got. Strange huh?

Strange don't begin to describe it! :)

You want rotten egg, try making EdWort's Apfelwein with Montrachet--it's so bad it's called "rhino farts" and that's doing a massive disservice to the flatulence of all odd-toed ungulates.

Here's an update, at 65 it appears things went back to normal now. Fermentation smells like beer again, never thought 3 degrees would make that much of a difference haha. Yeast dropped and bob's my uncle, should be ready to bottle next week :D

US-05 should be just fine at 62F, with no off aromas. 62F is not a stressful temperature for that strain.

I hope your beer turns out great, but I would look elsewhere for an explanation for the observed off odors.

I would be wondering whether some other organism somehow made it's way into my fermentation. They're sneaky little bastards, but there's always a telltale.

US-05 should be just fine at 62F, with no off aromas. 62F is not a stressful temperature for that strain.

I hope your beer turns out great, but I would look elsewhere for an explanation for the observed off odors.

I would be wondering whether some other organism somehow made it's way into my fermentation. They're sneaky little bastards, but there's always a telltale.

That's what I'd thought, we'll see. First time brewing a 5 gallon batch and in a new kettle, so nearly everything about my process was different this time, it'd be hard to pin down. Really hope it turns out great since I brewed this batch specifically for an upcoming get-together.

Kind of curious though why at first things smelled great, then bad, then ok again, usually smells have always been pretty constant. Even the banana bomb batch I mentioned kind of had that smell until maybe a couple days before I dry hopped.

I dunno about running US-05 at 62°F wort temperature, unless one likes the strange peach character than can inspire...

Cheers!

I dunno about running US-05 at 62°F wort temperature, unless one likes the strange peach character than can inspire...

Cheers!

Crap, now I'm reading everywhere that the low 60's makes US-05 produce peach esters. I'm sure it won't make the beer undrinkable but definitely wasn't going for that. I'll stick with 64/65 from now on and tack this up to stupid decisions lol. On the bright side everything smells like beer again :D

I guess it might not be that bad, my first ever batch of beer was fermented at 62, and it did have a slight fruity flavor. But it still was the bomb haha.

Last edited:
Dry hopped and did a gravity reading on the beer today and everything is good. Both carboys are giving the same reading, the samples were delicious. I guess I was worried about nothing, relax and have a home brew? lol

It was likely the yeast was more stressed than usual. Also in the past I was pitching more yeast per batch. Used an entire packet of US-05 for my 2.5g batches, this time I used to packet for a 5g. That and it being at the lower end of 60 didn't help much :)

Back