Fermentation Slowed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
Hello, I'm brewing this crazy brew from MWS called "Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz". It sounds really awesome and I'm very excited about it.

I discovered the hard way that I need to do something about the way I regulate the temperature of my mash.

The stout needs to be a little bit on the sweet side, so it calls for a 154° mash temperature, but I think it ended up closer to 158°. YIKES

I did an iodine test and it stayed mostly yellowish, like the iodine and I didn't see much black in the reaction at all. The beer is very dark though, so maybe it's just hard to tell with this particular brew.

My OG was right on target at 1.071. I pitched my yeast, which was done in a small starter a week prior and it started rocking fermentation within 8 hours! After 16 hours, it was really chugging! The krausen got a little too high for comfort, but didn't breach the top.

So, I pitched Sunday night, and just last night (Tuesday), it had really slowed down a lot. I guess I won't know for sure until I can get home to test it, but my question is, is it possible for the fermentation to go from crazy fast to nearly complete within only 2 days? I hope so because I'll cry if this brew is screwed due to a cranial-rectal insertion on my part.

Back