Fermentation sample looks carbonated. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
Have another thread currently posted about the same beer it is a milk stout thats been in a conical (first time using it) for almost 2 weeks. Temp dropped to 57 degrees, got a brew belt on it but there is still no sign of activity even after warming up and trying to rouse the yeast. Took a sample of it today and it looked carbonated. . . Held "head" for a good 10 minutes when i had the hydrometer in it. It was a 1.061 beer that is currently at 1.032. 75% eff. Does the sign of "carbonation" mean oxidized? I have to pull the airlock out to pull of samples and since fermentation stopped i have checked it three times to see if there was any activity. Wondering if i introduced to much o2. Have a wyeast 1056 on hand. Make starter and pitch? Or rack to secondary and then keg it? Thanks!

No. It means yeast are pooping in your beer.

Can you be sure you didn't just miss what fermentation took place before it stalled?

Edit: Milk Stout? How much lactose? Hell, it could just be done.

16oz lactose, FG was supposed to be 1.012 according to beersmith. It is possible i missed fermentation, was basing it not being done on beer smith. Unless it mis calc'd it

16oz lactose, FG was supposed to be 1.012 according to beersmith. It is possible i missed fermentation, was basing it not being done on beer smith. Unless it mis calc'd it

.... a pound of lactose and the final gravity is supposed to be 1.012?:drunk:

it can look like its carbonated because well there is probably carbon dioxide dissolved in solution. there is some pressure in there even if you have an airlock so a small amount of CO2 is usually dissolved anyway.

Its a widmer snow plow clone lol, i just followed the BYO for it! What should i do?!

I think my beersmith added the lactose to the mash, so it didnt account for it being post fermentation.

Its a widmer snow plow clone lol, i just followed the BYO for it! What should i do?!

does the recipe have an expected FG? I would assume with that much unfermentables the FG would be a lot higher than what my normal pale ales finish at. Well maybe not a LOT but I'm not sure how much more.

like i said BS says 1.012 but i believe it must have added lactose to the mash. . as in not calculating it towards the FG im not sure though, not at my comp so i cant check.

Did some calculations that i think are correct and my est FG should be like 1.029! So im currently at 1.032, i assumed that BS would correct for it so i followed it. And since my fermentation temp dropped so low i assumed it was a stuck fermentation.

I had one brew I made that the latent CO2 was strong enough, and then beer good enough that I thief'ed a half pint out of there.

Pretty much any time you take a gravity on a beer that is actively fermenting you should de-gas it before taking the reading. Heck, it's not a bad idea to do when it's finished even (Revvy was right, there will be some CO2 in solution, although not as much post ferment as during)... pour the sample back and forth between a couple vessels... big pours, let it froth and head up. Wait for it to settle and the majority of the gas will be gone. CO2 in solution will give you a false low reading.

False high reading? I thought the CO2 would push the hydrometer upward making it read higher...

False high reading? I thought the CO2 would push the hydrometer upward making it read higher...

You would think at first, I sure did! However, it was demonstrated to me; the sample read lower prior to degassing. The bubbles actually pull the hydrometer down because they make the solution less dense.

Ya i know there is co2 present, it was the fact that i poured off 3 testers on 3 different days and all of which had atleast a 1 inch layer of foam on top, which is surprising to me lol. Though its the first time i havnt "turkey basted" some out for a sample.

wailingguitar said:
You would think at first, I sure did! However, it was demonstrated to me; the sample read lower prior to degassing. The bubbles actually pull the hydrometer down because they make the solution less dense.

Interesting indeed. I'll have to give it a try...

Latest posts

Back