Fermentation ran away to 80F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonSreeB

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast yesterday (S-05) for my first stout. Came home today, thermostat for my house is set to 74 but I keep it in a non-perimeter touching closest that usually feel much cooler than the rest of the house and the sticker temp gauge says 78-80 so I know inside it's even higher. It's been fermenting for about 24 hours.

What can I do to reduce the diacetyl in my brew?

I'm going to keep a wet t-shirt on it until fermentation is done and I've seen to a "diacetyl rest" and just leave in primary for a couple weeks. Is that all that there really is to do?

I do plan on adding 2 vanilla beans halved and scraped in the secondary and then some cold brew coffee in my bottling bucket to flavor.

Honestly my experience tells me it's not going to taste great, for a while... Before I started controlling ferm Temps I had a few hot ones, and they were not good. After a while (few months) the off flavors seemed to mellow.

It probably won't be your best batch, but you're lucky it's a stout. Diacetyl is less obvious in malty beers since most would find it blends into the carmel flavours coming off of your roasted malts. You can definitely age it longer on the yeast cake (I.e in the primary). Us-05 is highly flocculant so a diacetyl rest may not be as effective as you're hoping tho. It's far more effective if the yeast are in suspension. Still tho, don't write the beer off until you try it!

Latest posts

Back