Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
I have a scottish ale that started fermenting yesterday morning. Temp in my house is about 68 so I use a swamp cooler to get the temp down a few more degrees. what happened was I had the carboy oriented the wrong way so I moved it so that I could see the thermometer on the side. There was a big swoosh inside when I tried sliding it, and the 1/2" of kraussen that was on top eventually disappeared.
More than 24 hours later air lock is still going strong but no krausen on top. Should I be worried at all of the final product?

Should be ok. You may even have helped the krausen drop out. It might rebuild back up, but if it doesn't then no big deal..it needed to fall eventually anyway. I did the same exact thing over the weekend when I moved my plastic carboy upstairs. Try as I might, the insides still sloshed around slightly and the thick krausen was reduced to bubbles..it built itself back up though.

Latest posts

Back