Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssdecal

Reaction score
This is my first brew. The first few days of fermentation my airlock was steadily bubbling, however after 4 days the bubbling has stopped. Should I take a gravity reading or leave it alone until its been in the fermenter for 10 days? I peeked through the airlock and I have white specks on the surface of the brew.

Your beer could be at FG so why not take a reading? Just be sanitary. As far as the white specks, I wouldn't worry, you'll get all kinds of weird looking stuff in your krausen.
Enjoy your first first brew!

Leave it alone for about 2 weeks

+1

Give it about two weeks from start then pull a hydrometer sample. After you take the SG reading, taste the sample. Repeat 3-4 days later and compare the readings (be sure to write the first one down). If they match, and you detect NO off flavors, then it can be bottled at any point from then. Just be sure to also use one of the priming solution calculation sites to determine how much sugar (by weight) to use.

Back