Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadin8tor

Reaction score
I started a cream stout recipe on February 25th, and the OG was right at about 1.051. The fermentation was reasonably quick and very vigorous over the first few days. I was able to maintain a temperature of about 68 during the process. After a week, the gravity reading was at 1.030. I let it set for a few more days, and when I transferred to the conditioning, it was still at 1.030. This does not seem right. This is my first time using a hydrometer, so it may be chalked up to noobness (new word?). On a side note, we added some additional LME to the batch in an attempt to increase the ABV, but the current readings indicate an ABV of about 2.5%. Not what we were looking for.

I am looking for guidance on where I should go from here, or do I just move on and bottle it.

Is there lactose in your recipe and if so how much? Really we need more information to really help you out here.

When did you add the additional LME (after or before fermentation started?)

8oz lactose will add about .004 to your finishing gravity and will not ferment out. 1.030 is still really high. Have you checked your hydrometers accuracy in distilled water (tap will do in a pinch, but not as accurate). It should read 1.000

If you post up the whole recipe I can run the number through beersmith and see if there are any issues.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: White Labs WLP005 British Ale
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 30.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
8 lbs Briess Light Liquid Malt Extract
0.5 lbs Crystal -135L-165L
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs Milk Sugar/Lactose

1.00 oz Fuggle

The lactose was added with the malt extract before the boil

A quick check says your OG should have been at least 1.065 (40% grain extract efficiency) and as high as 1.068 (80% efficiency). Was this a kit or did you calculate it yourself?

Assuming 1.067 OG, typical extract finishing gravity of around 1.020, plus the add .004 for the lactose sugar, and the lowest you could expect is right around 1.024. You measured 1.030.

If you subtract the lactose from the calculations, apparent attenuation for 1.063 to 1.026 comes out to 59%. According to WL, WLP005 gets attenuation of 67-74%. You got low but not unheard (especially in the extract world) of results.

Is there any chance you have less than 5 gallons?

You might be able to get it down a few more points as it sits in secondary or it might just be done. Either way I think you will be ok.

Cheers!

I would try to get the yeast going again. That sounds like a bomb recipe. Your hydrometer does not lie. Did you take your OG reading after thorough mixing? Was this a partial boil? With partial boils, when you add the water you have to thoroughly mix it in to take a reading, otherwise you are reading the partially mixed water at the top.

So first thing, your OG reading is suspect unless you did that.

Now, 1.030 is really high for a FG. If your OG is correct, that's only about 40% attenuation. If your OG is higher, say 1.060, that's only 50%. Even if it is 1.070 that's only 58%. Way too low. Even counting whatever else you did that's low in all cases.

So, second thing, whatever you originally did you have a high FG and low attenuation.

Does it tastes too sweet? Have you tasted it? I'm disappointed when it is sweet at all, and even those come out OK. But if it is very sweet still that would verify that you aren't done yet.

Lastly, are you bottling this beer? If you are, store it away from everything else and handle with care, like a grenade with the pin pulled. If you are kegging, you don't have to worry as the pressure will equalize.

My recommendation: Sanitize a long piece of equipment, such as your racking cane, and give the yeast cake at the bottom a gentle stir. Not too much, just enough to expose the yeast to the brew and get it going again. It won't take too long to settle out again, and once you rack to the secondary it'll be fine.

Yeah, it was a partial boil, and now that I think about it, I did not mix it well (used a wort chiller for the first time). So I would assume that the OG was low. Mark it up as a learning experience. I do know that the final quantity was 5 gallons. I may have to get a keg system to be on the safe side with this one. I was going to let it set in the secondary for a week and measure again. Since it is already in the secondary and most of the yeast is gone, I am not confident that it will reduce much more.The bottle grenades has me concerned. I did taste it, and it is sweet to me.

Spanaway! I've been to Spanaway. I lived in Seattle and had a friend that lived in Tenino. I'd bike down there, about 75 miles, every now and then. I also did STP a bunch of times and the rest area when I did it was in Spanaway. And Lewis/McChord's been in the news lately, not good news though.

Latest posts

Back