Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoshinJoshN

Reaction score
Am brewing my first batch solo. It is a stout. I just entered day 2 in the primary fermenter and the bubbling seems to have slowed a little bit. Is this normal? How much bubbling should I expect?

Don't worry about the bubbles. Just check the gravity after a couple of weeks.

Im sure I wont be the only one to say this but here goes. The airlick and bubbling is not a true indication of when fermentation stops. The only way to be sure is take a reading with your hydromiter before you pitch then after about a week take another and then every other day for 3 days. If your FG matches then fermentation has stopped.

Even after that, be patient and let it sit for another few weeks. Then bottle or keg. In the meantime you cab start another if you have the equipment
Start building that pipeline and just relax. Everything will work out.

I'm brewing an Am Amber Ale kit with steeping Crystal 60L. Am using Safale 05. I' pitched the yeast (forgot to hydrate it per instructions) on 11/5. OG 56 and temp is holding right around 67*.

After reading all the posts about needing blowoff tubes etc.. I get "concerned", so to speak. My first brew last month.. a Coopers kit.. had very little observable action around the edge of the FV. It was a low(er) gravity and I didn't expect a whole heck of a lot. But, this one.. I would have expected more than just a small ring around the collar and very little bubbles in the center of the bucket. I'm not using an airlock.. just the Coopers new DIY FV with the removable krausen collar. Doesn't look like the krausen will be great enough to coat the inside of the collar..

I won't likely take a gravity reading until it hits one week.. But, should I buy another sachet of yeast, hydrate it and re-pitch.. or ????

I won't likely take a gravity reading until it hits one week.. But, should I buy another sachet of yeast, hydrate it and re-pitch.. or ????

Hold tight, Bill. I just used both yeast strains in the same sequence as you. I had a similar experience and everything turned out fine.

Back