Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc587491

Reaction score
First off, I am new to brewing and this is my first thread. I have read a lot on here and appreciate everyone's help in my new hobby, i could not have done it with out you guys.

Anyway, I am on my third batch right now (Brewcraft's streets of london porter),
I have made Brewcrafts belgian wit, and Northern Brewer's smashing pumpkin ale to great success.

My fermentation is not going as usual and wanted to make sure it was okay. I did everything as normal, sanitize everything, boil to directions, chill rapidly, pitch hydrated yeast, aerate the work, set to ferment.

The fermentation was going crazy the first 12 hours (there was even beer in the airlock) but stopped almost completely by 24 hours. It was too warm where i was storing it so i moved it downstairs and it got shooken up pretty good. Now it is not releasing any gas and appears to have no krausen whatsoever.
I just want to make sure it's one of those times where i'm over reacting and I can just relax and let it do it's thing.

Btw the gravity is at 1.024 and 70 degrees. (the OG was skewed by me not mixing the partial boil with the extra water enough, but was at 1.030)

Thank You in advance for all your time and support.
Joe

Seems like a low OG... What did the kit say it was supposed to be? Most likely it was just an inaccurate read like you said. How long has it been since brew day? I would let it ride at 70 for another week, dont rack, just wait and take a reading then. A lot of my fermentations go gang busters for a day then slow way down, totally normal.

It does sound like you didn't get the wort & top off water mixed well. They don't mix all that easy. But as long as you didn't aerate it when you tried to rouse the yeast,you won't get a glass of wet cardboard. Just swirl the fermenter gently to rouse a little yeast off the cake back into solution. Then step away from the fermenter...

When in doubt, sanitize your hydrometer and drop it in, take a quick reading and compare it to your FG. If you are close to it, you know you're on the right track. If you're not quite there yet, write the gravity down and give it a week and take another week. The beer could very well be fermenting and you might not even know it.
I have had beers ferment and produce very small amounts of krausen and still came out okay. Beers can have a mind of their own!

Back