fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsnyder88

Reaction score
i started it on Monday and the fermentation started off fast within 24 hours airlock was bubbling about 3 times a second but now it is down to about once every 3 to 4 seconds and what i was wondering is what is going on and is this normal for it to drop off like that. the beer i am brewing is a hefeweizen

Definitely all OK. The airlock is a false indicator of fermentation, the only true way to see how it's going is by taking a sample and reading gravity via hydrometer.

Blake

There is nothing you can do from this point on except keep the temps correct, keep it dark, and keep the blow-off clear or airlock full. Wait at least 10 before taking your first gravity measurement, and drink it.

Hope you enjoy your beer in about 5 weeks.If its slowing down it just means the peaking is over,now it needs to clean up and condition for a few more weeks. Then bottle it for 3 weeks and check its progress if you cant stand the waiting then just drink craft beer or make another batch in the mean time.

Back