Fermentation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowelsmd

Reaction score
Hi,

About a month ago my friend and I decided to start brewing cider. It's cheap, easy, and it tastes good. So we tried making a 5 gallon carboy using Safale S-04 yeast and keeping it at about 52 degrees F. We also did two 1 gallon batches using Red Star Champagne yeast two weeks later and kept them at about 60 degrees. The 5 gallon batch initially read 6.5% and the two smaller ones were at 11% and 21% (just for fun).

However the other night when we were planning on bottling the larger batch, we ran a hydrometer test on it but the specific gravity was still the same as when we took it initially. This seems kind of strange considering that, while it wasn't super active, there still was some activity.

We resolved to just re-pitch the batch using some of the champagne yeast and then bottle one of the smaller batches. So before we bottled, we took a hydrometer reading of the 11% batch but found that it still read 11%. Seeing a pattern we decided to take a hydrometer reading on the 21% batch and achieved the same result.

Both of these batches had been very active, creating a kraeusen for at least 3 days, almost 6 for the 11%.

If the yeast is active then why hasn't there been any change in the alcohol content of the brew?

Please help.

What were the starting gravity readings. ie 1.xxx of each batch
What are the gravity readings now 1.xxx

Your ABV will be calculated from these two readings.

Not sure what you mean by 11% batch 21% etc.

I'm with Gavin ^, without knowing the O.G. (1.xxx), you cannot effectively calculate the alcohol %. Which scale are you using on the hydrometer, the one with the % marks, the "potential alcohol" scale?

Aside from the likely incorrect hydro readings, isnt 52 *F too cold for the safale? It's ideal is something like 60-70 *F like most other ale yeasts.

Aside from the likely incorrect hydro readings, isnt 52 *F too cold for the safale? It's ideal is something like 60-70 *F like most other ale yeasts.

Yes. Prob. not cold enough to crash but certainly enough to really slow or stall fermentation.

Also, are you correcting for temperature on your hydro readings?

As mentioned, explain how you took readings in the beginning and at the end.

I think that's too cold for the s-04.

Back