Fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packerzphan

Reaction score
This is my third batch and for some reason the fermentation looks very different from the first 2. It is a Wit made with orange peels and crushed coriander(which I read somewhere that it might have less foam with the citrus). With in the first 24 hours it foamed up about 3/4" and was bubbling in the airlock. After that, the foam resided and has not come back. The airlock was bubbling for about 3 days and then stopped. My first 2 batches foamed out the top of the airlock (about 4-5 inches at least of foam in the carboy) and my 2nd batch is still bubbling on the 8th day. Am I overreacting or is there something wrong with the fermenting on this one?

Different yeast, different worts, different behavior. Let your gravity readings be your guide.

It sounds like initial fermentation is over. It'll slow down & finish out now. Sometimes,you'll maintain 1/2" or so of krausen,sometimes less. Sometimes a couple of inches. It's still going,albeit slowly till FG is reached.

Latest posts

Back