Fermentation of Oligosaccharides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boqa

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an amateur brewer who has found an interest in making ciders using store bought apple juice as a base. As such, the ciders tend to become quite sour (or "dry" to use a commonly used euphemism) and I have been looking into various ways to add sweetness, e.g. adding non-fermentables such as xylitose, lactose etc.

However, I am living in South Korea and such additives tend to be bit expensive and/or hard to come by, this led me to search for cheaper alternatives.

In my local supermarket, I came across something called "oligosaccharides", made from either corn, rice or other grains. It is a liquid sweetener, commonly used for cooking here in South Korea. So, I thought that "hmmm, maybe I can use it for creating residual sweetness in my ciders?" and yes indeed; A small non-scientific test, based on gravity readings, showed that a mixture of water and oligosaccharides was fermentable (using S-04) to somewhere in the range of 30-50% (closer to 30 than 50, but I was not accurate enough with readings to say for sure).

Next I made a cider using apple juice, black tea (for tannins) and oligosaccharides, OG was ~ 1068 and FG about 1020. I tasted it yesterday and actually it is TOO sweet, but other than that it seems to do the job; I have cider with a residual sweetness (now it's primed and bottled and I'm waiting to see if it will carb up as it should). Samples tasted allright, not as great as commercial ciders, but I think it could become quite nice after a few months in the bottles. The oligosaccharides seems to impart a slight almond/cherry/marcipan taste, but 1) it's quite subtle and 2) I think it plays quite well with the apple juice.

My question is this: Can anyone (especially any biochemists out there) think of any reason why this is bad idea? I have googled quite a bit, but cannot find anyone using oligosaccharides in their brewing. This, could be because oligosaccharides is not so common in non-asian countries (I don't recall having seen oligosaccharides in shops anywhere outside of Asian countries), but it could also be because it's a really bad idea for one reason or another.
For example, the fermentation of oligosaccharides could produce big amounts of methanol or similar bad side-products (sorry if this sounds laughable, although I am a scientis, I have no concept of biochemical processes :) ).

Anyone can think of any reasons why not to use oligosaccharides in brewing/fermentation?

Did the same sort of thing with the same stuff for the same reason with a wine I made with cran/grape cocktail from CostCo and it turned out great.

Remembering that I just threw some in some infected beer hoping to balance out the sourness. Some google searching tells me that bacteria can eat that stuff just fine so I should end up with a MEGA sour pseudo-lambic. Think I`ll age this one for a year and see what happens. Could be interesting.

Oligosaccharide is just a term for a class of carbohydrate molecules: a chain of 2-9 sugar units.

Maltose and lactose are oligosaccharides (also disaccharides), but normally we think of longer chains when talking about oligosaccharides.

This sounds like a great idea to add sweetness. The fermentability of the syrup really depends on what type of sugar chains are in the syrup and what you are using to ferment it, as different organisms can ferment different chain lengths.

Back