Fermentation Issue! Help Appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrewhaha

Reaction score
First time brewing - and my friend and I decided to go with a Trippel using the Trappist yeast by White Labs.

Took about 24-36 hours to finally take off and once it got going the yeast went wild with fermentation, starting at 65 rises/min up to 85 rises/min as counted from watching a 3 piece airlock (Was told that this may not be a fair way to assess yeast activity, but providing the readings anyway). An hour or so later, activity went down to 45/min and the following morning was as low as 10/min. Now, a day later, the rises seem to be coming very rarely and are very struggled. Temperature has remained somewhat constant. Around 70-72 I would assume, and maybe dropping at lowest 66-68 at night. I know this isn't good but there was not much I could do. It's only been about 5-6 days since initial pitching. Is this normal? I know the cell concentration curve, but would the fermentation activity curve follow the same trend? Should I be worried?

Thanks.
-Bigbrewhaha

Odds are its done making alcohol by now. Wait a couple more days and take a hydrometer reading, then a few days later do it again. If the readings are the same it is done making alcohol. At that point you can let it sit on the yeast for a few weeks and then bottle or move to secondary to age.

Welcome to newbie-itis. It's fine, just let it sit a full three weeks or so in the primary fermentation container and then it should be ready to rack to a bottling bucket.

Sounds like it did exactly what it should. No need to worry.

I've done two brews so far and I've noticed on both of them that there was about one 24 hour period of high activity, and in a day or so after that died down to almost nothing.

That's not all that unusual. Each fermentation is different. Some yeasts like Windsor take off fast and slow down after a couple of days.

Just because it's stopped bubbling does not mean it's finished.

Yep - I always expected this long, rolling fermentation like I get with my ciders - but it's never the case - except with a Saison yeast I had that rolled for days and days. Most of the others (Wyeast 3068, 1007 - Nottingham) I notice a big push in the beginning and then they just peter out. Nothing to be worried about...

Welcome to newbie-itis. It's fine, just let it sit a full three weeks or so in the primary fermentation container and then it should be ready to rack to a bottling bucket.

+1. I let mine sit three weeks after ferm starts and slows down

Latest posts

Back