Fermentation is stuck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRS1844

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Ill get right into it. 2 weeks ago i made a Clone of the bells two hearted IPA. I hit my OG right on the head at 1.055. After two weeks of fermentation at ~67 degrees, I cant get it below a 1.020 FG. It has not moved in a week any suggestions? Just to clear the air i did make a yeast starter!

There are rare cases where is is just taking its time (once had a beer go from .060 to .012 in a day and a half and then take 3 weeks to go down to 006)

Is there are fermentation activity?

If there is no sort of activity at all you could always try pitching more yeast (the yeast you added may have pooped out already) or try yeast nutrient. I've used it a few times to kick a stuck ferment in the ass.

As of right now, I just stirred the fermenter super slow and turned the temp up if it doesn't change it i might re pinch later this week.

Was the recipe all grain, partial mash, or all extract? What yeast did you use? SG is checked with a hydrometer?

Rousing the yeast and raising the temperature will help more than pitching more yeast if there are fermentable sugars remaining.

As of right now, I just stirred the fermenter super slow and turned the temp up if it doesn't change it i might re pinch later this week.

I would not have done that- I've had more than a few extract batches that just stopped at 1.020, due to the unfermentability of the extract.

We even have threads on this forum about it, like "The 1.020 Curse!".

If it's an extract batch, it's not stuck. It's done. It will not improve by stirring, rousing the yeast, etc. That will actually be more likely to harm the beer by oxidizing it. If it's still at 1.020 tomorrow, bottle it.

I would not have done that- I've had more than a few extract batches that just stopped at 1.020, due to the unfermentability of the extract.

We even have threads on this forum about it, like "The 1.020 Curse!".

If it's an extract batch, it's not stuck. It's done. It will not improve by stirring, rousing the yeast, etc. That will actually be more likely to harm the beer by oxidizing it. If it's still at 1.020 tomorrow, bottle it.

This was an all grain batch and im going to be kegging it

This was an all grain batch and im going to be kegging it

Then I suspect something with the mash caused/created more unfermentables. I don't think it's stuck as much as done.

Even if you could get a new yeast pitch going, it'd be unlikely to go much lower anyway, say maybe 1.014 if you're lucky, so if tastes ok, I'd keg it.

Back