Fermentation Insanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invmgmt

Reaction score
Wow, this one is crazy.

Made a 10 gallon batch of Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale and split into two 6 gallon fermentation Buckets. Took an OG and it was okay.

After two days, bucket one was bubbling away and bucket two had no airlock activity. Waited two more days and bucket two was still inactive so I pitched another yeast (WLP005). After eight days, bucket one is still bubbling and no activity on bucket two. Yes, i did check the seal on the lid and it appears to be good. still, would think path of least resistance would be through airlock even if the seal is a little bad.

I need to add secondary hops and oak chips, so will take a hydrometer reading to see if it is down to FG. Just a bit odd to have such different activity between the two buckets.

any ideas?

Did you open the lid at the 2 day mark to see if there was any krausen in the bucket that had no airlock activity? There would not be any now, but there would be residue on the inside of the bucket.

Back