Fermentation in my Stout stopped early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTony

Reaction score
Hi Brewers!
Brewed a steamroller stout to put into a burbon barrel.

I did do this as a double batch (10 gal) mini mash.

Fermentation started pretty rapidly, and only lasted for 4 days. At which point it was really done! the yeast just quit. As I wasn't getting any more bubbles from the air lock, at 5 days I popped the seal and took a gravity measure.

Was after 1.013 FG, I was reading 1.026. I gave it two more days in the fermenter, no activity. So, I made the transfer to the bourbon barrel.

But now I'm worried about bottling. I don't think I have any yeast left to create carbonation in the bottels. If there were any at all before going into the bourbon barrel, since it was freshly emptied of bourbon, there's definitely no yeast left now.

Can I keg carb and put it into bottles? Can anyone share any experiences botteling that way?

What is Frementation? Some wild spice brewing technique used on Arrakis? :p

I just brewed an AHS Steamroller Stout mini mash myself and missed the FG by about 14 points as well. Granted I added some lactose and a 1% boost, but I was still aiming for 1.020 with the added unfermentables. I got 1.034. The only thing I can guess what I should have done different was added some yeast nutrient to my starter AND to the boil (I didnt add it to either), as well as aerate some more. Either way I ran down to AHS, grabbed a packet of Notty, and threw that in today.

Maybe the wlp004 just gives up easy? :drunk:

@ Jkaylor - thanks for the direction to botteling from a keg! - OG was on the mark at 1.074 btw.
So, it doesn't seem like there's anything special when bottling from a keg when there's no concern of storing it. I bottled up a 6er of 22oz bottles for a friend. I got a report a week later that they were flat! :( it took SOOO long to fill them because of all the foam! don't understand how it could've been flat already. :(

@ Jkaylor - thanks for the direction to botteling from a keg! - OG was on the mark at 1.074 btw.
So, it doesn't seem like there's anything special when bottling from a keg when there's no concern of storing it. I bottled up a 6er of 22oz bottles for a friend. I got a report a week later that they were flat! :( it took SOOO long to fill them because of all the foam! don't understand how it could've been flat already. :(

When you let out all the foam, you had bottled them flat. At a major brewery I watched the bottle filler and asked about the carbonation and lack of foam. The guide said that to keep the CO2 in the beer they chilled until the beer was ready to freeze and filled the bottle cold. Apparently yours wasn't cold enough or you splashed it too much while filling the bottles.

Back