Fermentation in a Growler...possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrew

Reaction score
I just did my first brew, a partial mash Bell's Two Hearted clone, and I have an all mash kit I've never used for a brown that's about a year old, and I don't want to toss it, but don't want to brew a huge 5 gallon batch if it may turn out like crap.

I just did my first brew, a partial mash Bell's Two Hearted clone, and I have an all mash kit I've never used for a brown that's about a year old, and I don't want to toss it, but don't want to brew a huge 5 gallon batch if it may turn out like crap.

You have a year old all grain kit? Are the grains milled? If so, I'd toss it. Even if it won't "turn out like crap", then what? You're going to brew it, wait 4-6 weeks to test it out, then brew the rest of the grains that are now even older than before?

To answer your question, yes, you can carb a beer in most styles of growler, although the type of cap matters. Flip tops will be the best and the metal cap with the foam-plastic seal work. If it's a metal cap with lined cardboard insert, it won't hold enough of a seal for pressure to form.

My theory is it is better to use some rather than none at all so if I end up tossing the left overs I won't feel as bad for wasting the money, thanks for the info.

To answer your question, yes, you can carb a beer in most styles of growler, although the type of cap matters. Flip tops will be the best and the metal cap with the foam-plastic seal work. If it's a metal cap with lined cardboard insert, it won't hold enough of a seal for pressure to form.

To clarify, you should never carb a beer in a growler. The glass is not meant to handle that amount of pressure. Search "bottle bombs" or "growler bomb" if you want to see why. They will explode.

Now, you can definitely ferment in a growler. They are like a small carboy.

Brewing and cooking have a lot of things in common. Take some of the grain, rub them between your palms and give them a smell.
If they still have a nice grainy aroma, they'll work OK. As good as fresh, no, but workable. If there's no smell, or it's maybe musty or rancid, discard them and get fresh.

The advice about fermenting and carbing in a growler (OK, absolutely no bueno) is spot on. Just make sure that any king of blowoff you have employed is not clogged/restricted. You then have a dangerous explosive device.

I've had good results with fermentation in a growler. Most often, If I have a extra wort that won't fit a carboy then I put it in a growler and pitch a different yeast, typically a reused yeast, as a opportunity experiment. Its basically a big starter at that point.

You might need a smaller cork to fit the top and place the blowoff tube in a cup of water unless you have a water trap that will fit.

I just carbed in growlers I got from Wholefoods. They might be made for it though since they don't have growler station and they sell small homebrew kit.

I make starters in growlers all the time. That's the same thing. Of course the difference between fernmenting and carboning is that the former isn't a closed system.

I broke a 5 gallon batch into 5 1-gallon growlers before. It works perfectly well.

Is a growler batch really that much less work than a 5 gallon batch though?

I just carbed in growlers I got from Wholefoods. They might be made for it though since they don't have growler station and they sell small homebrew kit.

Those aren't a traditional growler, those are large swing top bottles (grolsch-style). I wouldn't do it though, unless I new what pressure the glass was rated to hold.

two_hearted said:
Those aren't a traditional growler, those are large swing top bottles (grolsch-style). I wouldn't do it though, unless I new what pressure the glass was rated to hold.

No that those, I almost got them but I got the bigger 1/2 gallon ones with screw tops.

Back