Fermentation, how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rakez

Reaction score
so i'm currently making my first batch of Cider and it seems to be going pretty well, but what i'm wondering is how long should i let it ferment? its a 4 Gallon batch and has currently been fermenting for 4 days. So how much longer should i let it sit? i assume until the waterlock stops bubling but does letting it sit longer improve taste?

As long as it takes. It will ferment better with addition of yeast nutriet, as there isn't much in cider must. Forget the airlock, it means very little. Get yourself a hydrometer and test your gravities. You may have to adjust with tannins, acid and/or sugar to get the final flavors you enjoy.

Let it ride out, I leave mine alone for a month or until clear until I transfer or bottle it. As above said, use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity, the same reading over a few days is a better indication that fermentation has ceased than the airlock.

Latest posts

Back