Fermentation.. How is it REALLY supposed to act?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314alias

Reaction score
Is the fermentation supposed to consistently bubble once it's transferred to a secondary fermenter? (using an S airlock) this was done using safbrew WB-06 yeast .. The primary fermentation was about 4 days then we transferred it.

Well, you do need more than 4 days for primary fermentation.

What was OG and SG ?

If its still fermenting, then ofcourse its normal to bubble.

There is no normal. Every beer has it's own schedule and characteristics. 4 days might be a bit soon to rack to secondary, it might be right on. Many times it depends on the gravity of the beer. I'd leave it in secondary for about 3-4 weeks, but that's just me. I have plenty to sip on until that would have time to finish. If you are itchy to get this one going, give it a week or so and check the gravity. If it is the same 3 days apart, bottle it. If not, give it some time and check again. You aren't going to do your beer a disservice by waiting, rushing on the other hand...RDWHAHB

I would say that you were about 2.5 to 3.5 weeks too fast to move your beer. That yeast cake makes your beer much tastier.

B

Back