Fermentation high temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheLoveOf

Reaction score
Hi guys, just need a bit of advice on to what to do with a couple of brews under fermentation...
I put down 2 brews 2 days ago, 1an IPA and a BLACK IPA, they were both in a coolroom that was set to 22deg. I went in there today anf it was pretty hot and the temp of the wort was around 34degC, my cool room **** itself[emoji20], anyway yesterday they were both bubbling like mad, the black IPA so much I had to change to a tube air lock... today NOTHING....
I have never really had a ferment reach that temp, will it be ruined?
Cheers guys

How bad this is depends on which yeast we're talking about. But for most ale yeasts that's too hot so you will probably get a lot of esters and fusel alcohol. Do you have it cooled down now? I would let it finish fermenting and taste it. If it tastes like fusel alcohols -- it's like a "hot" solvent, chemical like acetone, nail polisher or felt tip marker pen -- I'd dump.

This is too hot!
I brew on this temperature only with Saison yeast (BE-134 or M29) and beer is good. US-05 work fine up to 28'C.

What yeast? 22C (room temperature) is even a bit high for most ale yeasts. That means your ferment temperature is likely to be 24 to 25C, but may be even higher. The damage in the 30's will also depend on the yeast.

It will be off flavored for sure. A rest might not even help. It’s win some , lose some but in Brewing it’s more like Win some, LEARN some.

Leave it in cold for two to three weeks and it will clear, but it will never be to be commended.

Back