Fermentation Fumes - Eyes Water, Throat Burns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaNewf

Reaction score
I'm current doing my first partial mash brew. This is also the first brew I've done in the new chest freezer I bought for temperature control (coupled with an STC-1000 and a heat belt).

The problem I have is when I stick my head in there my eyes water and my throat burns a little. You may be wondering "Why are you sticking you head in there?" Good question. I'm brewing a stout and since my fermenter is semi transparent I was trying to see if the volcano had errupted yet. I know I should leave it alone but I like to watch a stout "take off".

What I'm wondering is if the fumes being produced are normal? Until now my fermentation took place on a table in large open area in my basement and any escaping gas had pretty of room to disipate. Now it is happening in a small (5 cubic foot) chest freezer. The gas only has a chance to escape when I get curious and crack the freezer open for a peek.

Anyone have any similar experience, should I be worried?

Thanks.

Yeah, that's CO2. It burns. Totally normal.

Nice for taking samples; less O2 getting in.

Thanks TyTanium,

I didn't realize CO2 did that (I thought something else was causing it) but then again I've never been exposed to a high concentration before.

One less thing to be concerned with, I appreciate the help.

I also recently starting fermenting in a chest freezer for temperature control. I always like to smell the yeast at work during primary fermentation, and when the fermenter is sitting in an open room, I had to put my nose close to the airlock and inhale deeply. So you can imagine what happened when I attempted the same thing in the chest freezer.... I started coughing, and I could slightly feel it in my throat for a few hours. Definitely learned my lesson on that one.

Back