Fermentation Fridge Dilemma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So, right now in my ferm fridge I have an IPA that has been dry-hopping for 5 days, and I want to bottle it on Wed (2 days from now). Lots of pellets still floating on the top, and I want to get a nice clear beer, so I plan on cold crashing it tonight.

In the fermentation fridge, I also have a spiced porter that I brewed the same night that I racked the IPA, 5 days ago. Right now, the fridge is set at about 72 degrees...

Will this be an issue with the porter? I know that dropping the temp will stall any fermentation going on. Will dropping the temp for a few days, and then bringing it back up to 72 be an issue? Should I just do a reading and if it's close to the target FG just let it go? And if it's not, then wait or think of another option?

I actually thought about emptying my other garage fridge to make room for the IPA and cold crash there, so that might be an option also...

What would you do?

I would recommend using an alternate means to cold crash the IPA. Better not to mess with a fermenting beer in my opinion. On the other hand, if you pitched plenty of yeast then the porter COULD be at FG and the cold crash wouldn't really effect it.

If I were you, I would use your garage fridge for the IPA.

PS- 72° seems like a very high fermentation temperature. I prefer to ferment most of my beers at 62°.

If I were you, I would use your garage fridge for the IPA.
Yeah, I think I might try that. Maybe after I check the gravity of the porter...

PS- 72° seems like a very high fermentation temperature. I prefer to ferment most of my beers at 62°.
Both beers using Cal 001, Optimum fermentation temp 68-73.
It's actually closer to 70, but it's set at 72, that's just the way my fridge works. I probably should have clarified that...
:drunk:

Why don't you just take the porter out of the fridge. If it has been 5 days, ambient temps will cause you no issues while you cold crash the IPA. This would definitely be easier than worrying about killing your fermentation.

Ya, that's a good thought. It is supposed to get down to the 30's tonight, and it gets cold in my garage. Maybe I can bring it on the kitchen...

Just wait a few more days and cold crash both of them. I don't think the couple of days will kill much of the good in the ipa

Back