Fermentation Fridge and Johnson Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr84x4

Reaction score
I just received my Johnson A419. I plan on using this on my garage fridge to better control my fermentation temp. How do I set the thermostat in the fridge? To Max, Min, or normal. I assume to max (coldest temp) and let the Johnson do all of the work. Just wanted to check my train of thought before I plug it in.

Also, for fermentation, what is a good differential to use? I plan on placing the temp probe in water or attached to the side of the carboy. Should I set it to one degree? Four?

Please forgive the questions. I have only been fermenting at room temp, and thus I can't control the temp swings. I am sure what 1 degree or 4 degree swing will still be better than what I had before, but I wanted to see what the pros think.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, set the fridge's control to MAX COOL and let your Johnson do the work (ahahahahaha - I slay me! ;)

If you have a good thermal path from brew to probe, I'd go with a 2 degree differential, just to cut down the cycling a bit. Some people will go with 1 degree but I think that's a bit of overkill...

Cheers!

Thanks day trippr. I was thinking that I may want to go with more than one degree just to save the compressor a bit. Thanks again.

Back