Fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendBrett

Reaction score
First brew,

I brewed an ale kit on Sunday, by Monday afternoon it was bubbling pretty good. Now (Thursday) its down to a single bubble every 30 seconds. Should I rack it into a secondary this weekend or give it another week?

First brew,

I brewed an ale kit on Sunday, by Monday afternoon it was bubbling pretty good. Now (Thursday) its down to a single bubble every 30 seconds. Should I rack it into a secondary this weekend or give it another week?

Skip the secondary and just leave it in primary for 3 weeks. Problem solved.

Secondary is not necessary. Do not use the airlock as an indicator of fermentation. Use a hydrometer or refractometer and test the specific gravity. Once it has stabilized for 3 or more days it will be safe to bottle.

Will I just not get that great an improvement by doing a secondary?

Read this thread. It will answer all your questions. Short answer: unless you are adding fruit, dry hopping, or doing very long extended aging, most beers don't need a secondary. It won't hurt things, but to many it's not worth the effort.

Ok, I'm getting what you're saying.

Let me ask ya another question. If I wanna brew another batch, can I rack the first so I have room in my 6.5 bucket for another fermentation? :)

You could. Or you could buy another cheap food grade bucket to ferment your next brew in, leaving your present brew on the yeast to clean up fermentation by-products, and get the pipeline growing even better. :ban::mug:

I don't have another primary, was planning on getting a secondary this weekend. But maybe I've been reading too much. Current plan is to stop by the LHBS and just get another 6.5 bucket/lid/airlock for a fresh batch.

I suggest better bottles. I've been using them and won't go without. I still have my first pale ale fermenting bucket that's used to sanitize equipment and bottles :).

Back